n4529k

A friend is running a dual 430W/530W system and is wondering does anyone know of a way to make a backup of the Terrain/Obstacle data card to a second card?

You don't

You can't without having dual subscriptions. Garmin and Jeppesen did this intentionally to keep people from duplicating their cards for their friends.
We have multiple 430s in our flight school and are forced to buy to multiple database subscriptions to keep them all updated.

You can't without having dual subscriptions. Garmin and Jeppesen did this intentionally to keep people from duplicating their cards for their friends.
We have multiple 430s in our flight school and are forced to buy to multiple database subscriptions to keep them all updated.

Hey Craig, since you've obviously dealt with this....how about the Nav subscription card - can it be used in two different 430's in two different aircraft? In other words, if I have a single 430 in each airplane (and can only fly one airplane at a time), can I pop the Nav card in to whichever I am flying?

I don't recall putting the serial number of my 430 in to my Jepp subscription, so don't know if it gets written on the card....(might just have forgotten - it's been a while).

Yes, absolutely. You can swap cards from one unit to another in any of the 400/500 series, as long as they're either both WAAS or both non-WAAS. You can even swap between a 430 and a 530, because the database is identical.