walkman

Well Known Member
This is for my smoke system, which needs some repairs.

The tank is a small plastic "red gas can" type of container. The pump is attached to an aluminium mounting plate which was attached to the tank using a 40" or so worm drive "hose" clamp. This clamp has broken and I can't find anything similar (if anyone knows of a source please link here).

I'm assuming that I won't be able to get any sort of adhesive to adhere to this tank (especially since its oily). What are my alternatives?

McMaster carries a cut-to-length hose clamp kit.

I can't get a link to work, but go to www.mcmaster.com

Scroll down and click Hose & Tube Clamps

Click Hose & Tube Clamps again

Then choose 12" and larger on the left-hand side

a couple options...

in a pinch...two, 20" hose clamps! :rolleyes: .....or four, 10" etc.

the really long ones are often used on larger diameter sewer pipe, so a big plumbing supply, or industrial pipe distributor may have them. Highways signs are another use of long clamps to go around street light poles etc.
If you know anyone with a banding machine, you may be able to use a nylon or steel band like they secure shipments to pallets with, depending on how much space you have ( if the can is out of the plane, no problem). Sometimes tough to get the right 'crus'h on it tho.

I also mounted my pump to a plate then secured it to the tank handle using a "U" bolt. It has worked extremely well so far. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

They sell long hose clamps at Aviation (Home) Depot. I think they are in the plumbing department.

Do you need to remove the clamp regularly?

I have one of these http://www.clamptitetools.net/ tools that lets you make any length hose clamp from safety wire.

I find all sorts of uses for it, but it isn't good in situations where you need to remove and reclamp things since you have to cut off the clamp and use new wire each time.

ok, got some long clamps from mcmaster carr. should have thought of them, thanks.

I think half my scuba gear started at mcmaster carr and their bits and bobs are starting to show up all over the house, car, and now the airplane.

I am also looking to eventually replace the crappy tank it came with, with something that will work inverted. I was looking for a square plastic tank with an aircraft style fill cap, about 5 gallons, with no fittings or with AN-4 or -6 fittings for vent and outlet.

Ideally I want to make a flop tube for pickup. I was thinking I'd use an AN-6 bulkhead fitting, a few inches up from the (normal) bottom, with a 90 degree swivel fitting and a short piece of -6 size flexible fuel line (something heavy) in side, maybe with a fishing weight safety wired to it.

Sound reasonable?