I use a wood screw at the top and bottom of the fairing into the gear leg stiffener, just under the intersection fairings. Seems to work so far on several planes.

I used nutplates attached to the fuselage at two points, at the leading tip and tail of the fairing.

Roberta

My Way

the ones at the top are attached to the fuselage and wing gap closure strip using flat head #8 screws, dimple washers and platenuts. The ones at the bottom are built up as part of the wheel fairing. Mine are all homemade using clay on the airplane as the mold. You will have to adopt something compatible with your situation. Each of my uppers are in two pieces with the inboard rear "quarter" as on of the pieces. There are 4 mounting holes for each faring on the bottom of the wing and fuselage one aligns with the small piece of the fairing and the other three with the larger piece. I have an aluminum tab (0.016" 2024T3 sheet) riveted to the inside of the large piece that extends back behind the small piece. The tab has two platenuts riveted to it. Two #8 screws and dimple washers are used to connect the large and small pieces together.

That may give you options.

Bob Axsom

I used two platenuts on the cowling, one on the side and one underneath.

Aft of the gear leg, I drilled and tapped a hole between two rivets in the AA stiffener. This seems to work very well. I thought of adding a fourth on the floor but that seems like major overkill.

I'm not sure if my situation is unique to the -4, but it really looks like the ideal aft attach points are on a portion of the fuse that would not be accessible for nutplate installation. Is there some type of sheetmetal screw that would be acceptable, assuming that the fairing was also attached at its forward end with standard nutplates and screws?

Sorry in me haste I read your question wrong I thought you were asking about the gear leg fairings. I have mounted the upper intersections fairings as the above have.

Mine are not screwed on at all. They are held in place by the tension of a stretched spring that attaches to the engine mount, with the other end glassed into the upper fairing itself. So the spring holds the fairing close to the plane, but is allowed to flex and move as the gear leg moves on landing...
Im in Dubai right now so I don't have access to a picture of it... but can get them if interested. Back next week.
Good luck!
DM

Use a Rivnut.

Steve - if you look at the picture here http://gikonhome.blogspot.com/2007/08/setting-up-landing-gear-fairings.html#links (double click it to enlarge) you will be able to see the front of the fairing is attached to the cowl. At that point it was clecos, but is replaced with #8 screws, tinnerman washers and nutplates on a small ally reinforcement on the inside of the cowl.

As you say, that method does not work for the aft attachment point, because it is inside the hollow section where you cant go. I was introduced to a thing called a rivnut. I was very sceptical but a friend who had built a Murphy Rebel said it was the way to go. You insert it from the outside. It has worked very well. Then again use a #8 & tinnerman.

If you need more pictures, shout!

Hope that helps.