FORANE

Well Known Member
Wanna add blast tube to magnetos. Vans offers corrugated tubes in 5/8.
Aircraft spruce offers mounting flanges but the smallest is 1 inch diameter.

How did you attach these tubes?

Drill a hole in the baffle that is the diameter of the corrugation "groove" (I used 14mm step drill) and then work the tube into position and it will stay there. This is the method that Van's describe in the document that comes with the blast tube.

I ran a piece of safety wire inside of the tube and put a loop around the pmag holding the corrugated tubes blast of air directly on the mag. Was a good idea I think I picked up here on VAF.

I routed the tube from the baffle past an engine mount tube, and used an adel clamp there. Then the nose of the blast tube is kept in place at the front of the mag using a dab of RTV.

Get the 5/8" corrugated tube from Vans then use the method in Post #2. Easy to get it in the hole and stays put. You don't need a mounting flange. Mine have not moved in over 1200 hours. I have blast tubes on: the alternator (actually two, front and back); the magnetos; the fuel pump; the gascolator. Never had problems related to heat but the -4 series seems to cool better than the others. Overkill? I don't think so. Heat kills back in that tight space. IMHO....

All of the above posts are etc Ellen’s! I also add a little bead of Red RTV sealant where the corrugated tube goes through the baffle, just as an added retainer/sealer….

For the baffle end, I used a rubber grommet in the appropriately-sized hole, then the tube into the grommet (make sure it's a good, snug fit). Looks nice, and hasn't moved in 1000 hours.

On the other end, an Adel clamp on something or other nearby to whatever is being cooled seems to work just fine...

Per plans. Those tubes won’t come out if you size the hole correctly. Used high temp tie wraps on engine mount with silicon tape between wrap and mount.
Adel clamps are fine but a bit overkill in my opinion for a simple plastic tube….
1000 hours, all good.