scottw

I am trying to get a good fit of the cheek extensions, using the heat gun on the flanges, etc. not real happy with the results and I am curious as to how you all did it, riveting seems to want to pucker the flange quite a bit, any advice? what fill did you use around the edge?

What I did

First, I sanded the flanges as flat on the mating surface as i could get them,then made sure the flanges were uniform in width (1/2" or so) and radiused nicely on the edge , then drilled #40 holes every 2" and countersunk. I then attached to the aluminum fuselage structure with Proseal and clecoes only, letting the sealant cure for a couple days. While sealant is still soft, use acetone or MEK to wipe the edge smooth. The Proseal will paint fine. After the cure, I installed what are refered to as "A" rivets (annealed soft alum rivets), then just primed and painted with the rest of the plane. If you try to feather fill them, there is a likelyhood of cracking through the paint, though some have been succesful. Mine look riveted on, but you cant see the rivets or any bulging of the flange...the trick is in the Proseal.

Reverse the flange

I cut the flanges off and and bonded and riveted a new aluminum flange so that it was hidden from view on the inside of the extension. This was done because of fit issues with the removable forward top skin. I think it is an OK alternative to the norm. More work but easy enough.