dhusk

Well Known Member
Last Sunday, we put the RV9A up on the gear, slid the wings into place, put on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, and connected all the control surfaces. It looked like a real airplane and several neighbors stopped by to take a look. Lots of fun.:D

We've wondered for a while about the strength of the floor in the cabin. After sitting in the plane making airplane noises and moving the stick in all directions, it was time to get out of the plane and the question came up again: Is it ok to put weight on the bottom skins? We used the gear mount to exit, but sooner or later someone will put their weight on the floor.

I don't think the plans call for any thing on the top of the floor stiffeners. I'm sure we will put carpeting on the floor, but that's not going to help much.

What have others done? Has it been a problem?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should be careful when building but once the canopy is in place it makes it difficult (strange angles) to put much weight on the floor while entering or exiting the aircraft.

Like Sid mentioned, once you get the panel in place, it is very hard to put much weight on the floor board area.

You have to use your arms to get in and out of an RV. Lots of people and me included like to raise one leg and get our heel on the seat before pushing up and out. This lets you use your leg to assist.

Along those lines of thought...

I would recommend that you keep the seat pans in place any time you get in the plane. Also cut a piece of plywood that will fit on the baggage floor and use that any time you might get in that area.

I have some small dents and bends in these areas because I learned this lesson the hard way.:eek:

Kent

foam

I also put a 12 x 12 x 2 inch piece of foam on the floor pans so I don't step on the hinge eyes.

Steve

And when you're done........

Buy some matching towels to fold & place over the seats. They'll get stepped on; a lot!

Of course, fancy leather would even be nicer. :)

L.Adamson

Exiting A/C

All good ideas while building with the canopy off. Once you put the canopy on, panel in, forward top skin, windshield, it can be a real PITA to get out of the cockpit, and of course you don't want to grab the windshield surround. I installed these and it really makes it much easier to get in and out. http://aircraftextras.com/Handles1.htm Insofar as the floor, cabin, rear baggage area, all will dent quite easily, especially unprotected cabin ribs-ask me how I know. Really makes screwing the front cabin floor down a real ordeal.
Mike H 9A/8A

handles

and of course you don't want to grab the windshield surround

I actually bought the same handles, but have decided not to install them. When I looked at it, i realized I can grab hold of the brace that extends down from the top of the roll bar. Whether you do this or use the handles, the roll bar is what will bear the load as you pull yourself up. I decided the handles were just extra weight.

I actually bought the same handles, but have decided not to install them. When I looked at it, i realized I can grab hold of the brace that extends down from the top of the roll bar. Whether you do this or use the handles, the roll bar is what will bear the load as you pull yourself up. I decided the handles were just extra weight.

My handles are welded on; but I use them all the time. In fact, if you don't have them, some passengers will try to grab the fiberglass surrounding the roll bar to steady themselves. And they are great for pulling myself from under the panel, too.

As to the brace; once the windscreen is installed; it's a bit tough to grab..

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
Thanks!

As usual the VansAirforce community come through. I already found myself putting my foot on the gear weldment to help with exiting the plane. I did see the handles that attach to the roll bar and will probably install them. I hadn't thought of welding them, that's a good option.

The suggestion to cut a piece of plywood for the baggage area is a good one. It will prevent any (further) damage to the top skins.

I hadn't really considered the affect the instrument panel will have after it is installed, but I can see that it will make putting much weight on the bottom skins.

Now all the major pieces are assembled, we have reached the expensive part: engine and instrument panel. Lots of options, but no inexpensive ones.

Thanks again. I can't wait to get this thing in the air!