pa38112

Well Known Member
I have an old FP metal prop that I want to strip down and polish to hang on my wall. The tips are bent from a ground-strike.
Any suggestions on the best way to straighten these? I have had problems straightening aluminum in the past. If I heat it I often melt a spot before I get the piece red (and this might leave a discoloration that I can't polish out). If I don't heat sometimes it cracks. Looking for some experienced help.
I am going to cut the very tips off to remove some deep gouges, but I didn't want to cut a lot off each end.
Thanks in advance - the knowledge base here is amazing!

Prop

If you do straighten the prop, i would like to ask you to stamp it permanently somewhere in the hub section with the words " Scrap" or "unairworhty" Personally, a bent prop hung to a wall adds more character and the story grows each time with it! Check aC 43-13. Chapter 12 Section 3 talks about standard repair procedures

Last edited:
Leave it bent

I've seen a polished (or chromed) bent prop blade as an art. Looks great!

If you do straighten the prop, i would like to ask you to stamp it permanently somewhere in the hub section with the words " Scrap" or "unairworhty" Personally, a bent prop hung to a wall adds more character and the story grows each time with it! Check aC 43-13. Chapter 12 Section 3 talks about standard repair procedures

Good Idea - I'll stamp it

Bent prop

I've heard guys say they put a plank over it and drove their truck over the planks to straighten bent props.

... If I heat it I often melt a spot before I get the piece red (and this might leave a discoloration that I can't polish out). ...
Aluminum doesn't turn color when heated, which is a challenge.

You could always cut it down and make both sides even again, assuming it is just the tips that are curled.

I did not bend this prop, and don't know who did - so not much of a conversation to be had there. - Also, it is not a pretty bend like many I have seen, and is asymmetrical from one end to the other.

When a prop shop adjusts the pitch of a FP aluminum prop, they do it cold. If the bend isn't too bad, you can probably straighten it in a press.

But as others have said, damage can add character.

Charlie

annealing aluminum help

I was curious myself so I went looking. I found http://www.fournierenterprises.com/Annealing.pdf this reference on annealing aluminum. They recommend using a layer of carbon to indicate the temperature of the aluminum. Once annealed, you should have an easier time of bending the prop back to shape. You could probably also use Tempilaq or Tempil sticks to do the temperature indication. I would imagine that bending a prop that has been work hardened by a ground strike without annealing will result in breakage.

I can't help with the prop, but was wondering if you (pa38112) learned to fly in a Piper Tomahawk?