aarvig

Well Known Member
Sorry, I don't have a picture yet but I am trying to tighten the AN4 bolt that goes through the elevator control horns and the center bearing of the horizontal stabilizer. The holes are perfectly centered and line up well the only problem is that I am just a shade to tight to the WD-605 control horn tube. I can't get a socket or open ended wrench on it. Does anyone have any ideas what to use to snug it up good-n-tight?

Grind socket

Mine was a similar problem, I ended up grinding a socket to a taper that could get enough purchase to tighten, no problems since. Other approaches I considered was a pair of bent/angled pliers from HF

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking...I did the same thing Dave did, grind a spare socket to fit.

Last edited:
Grind a Socket

I also had to grind a socket..I am somewhat comforted that others had a similar problem..as I thought I had it gooned up good...And I ended up talking the bolt out a couple of times through the build..so be sure and keep the socket for later...

I tightened that very combo last thing this evening. Maybe mines a little out but I was (barely) able to get a pair of standard open ended spanners on it and cinch it up 1/6th of a turn at a time. Still, a royal PITA though...

Having just painted my plane, I had to remove and reattach the elevator. That bolt was the one bolt I dreaded the most. I sure am glad I am not the only one the had an issue with that. I thought for sure I mis-drilled the thing.

One other thing, I used a MS21042L4 nut, but the washer I had to champher to sit in the radius of the weldment properly.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I too am glad to hear that I am not the only one who had difficulty with this.
I went to the local Aviation Depot...purchased a couple of cheap wrenches and ground the bageezers out of them and tightened the bolt/nut. I now have a custom set of wrenches just for the job. Cost me 12 bucks to tighten that bolt.