rblackley

I am installing my side skirts on a slider canopy. The skirt overhangs the fuse by 1/4". Should I cut new skirts with more overhang?

Ryan

Two schools of thought.

First, I am not sure the length of overhang makes much difference. The skirts tend to get blown out by the internal air pressure. Many a chart has been lost in flight by being sucked out the gap. For the RV6, unless you modified the fuselage, the front part of the skirt was cut flush with the top rail for about 6" to allow it to clear the side skin due to the shape of that part of the fuselage. You then transitioned to more overhang.

The second thought; if your unhappy with it, it does not take long to make new side skirts the way you want them. To go back later and change them would be a royal pain....

consider it an opportunity

If you decide to make up new skirts, you can cut them so that they line up nicely with the edge of the top rear skin for a nice neat look.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Ours are about 1/2 inch below the longerong (ends in the center of the rivet line. 1/4 inch may be a little on the short side...
We didn't trim our to length until the entire canopy assembly was completed just to make sure that we liked the way all of the parts fit together.

If you decide to make up new skirts, you can cut them so that they line up nicely with the edge of the top rear skin for a nice neat look.
Bill Brooks

This is what I did and the only reason I can think of as to why you'd want to cut new ones. To me it was all for appearance.