akarmy

Well Known Member
So question of the hour is, have you exercised your "Total Performance" envelope?

Last summer I flew in and out of my Dad's 1800ft grass strip with tall trees on each end. Was a bit more exciting than the typical 3000ft paved strip.

This last weekend we flew into a 1000ft grass strip. Now it had a bit of a crown slope and no obstructions. WOW let me tell you 1000ft goes fast...

60mph over the fence holding some power, drop it on and get on the brakes and we were stopped in about 600ft (with 2 on board and nearly full fuel). Then on takeoff it seemed like we lifted by about 600ft from a bump, then touched again and by 800 ft we were flying. 20-30ft over the fence at 1000ft.

Of course this is with a 9A which helps with the big flaps, but the owner has an RV4 he flys out of there regularly.

So, how short have you gone?

Thanks Andy for the information. I am building an RV-9A and will have 1250 feet of grass strip with a clear approach in to a cattle fence at one end. I sure am glad to hear that I'm not insane for wanting to fly from my farm.

Jim Wright RV-9A 90919 Wings Arkansas