kirkbauer

I'm trying to get an estimate on how quickly the fuel selector works on a typical RV10 (with standard fuel injectors. Less than a second? Ten seconds?

In other words, if you are in cruise and switch from a full tank to an empty tank, how long until the engine would start to lose power?

I'm trying to get an estimate on how quickly the fuel selector works on a typical RV10 (with standard fuel injectors. Less than a second? Ten seconds?

In other words, if you are in cruise and switch from a full tank to an empty tank, how long until the engine would start to lose power?

Rough estimate: About 10 seconds. Why do you ask?

There is old flying advice that says one should only switch tanks when overflying or somewhere very near an airport. If the valve malfunctions or gets stuck while switching, you only have a few seconds before the engine quits. My old school Van's fuel selector started acting up and getting a little jammed and hard to turn - very scary while airborne. I opened it up and overhauled it, and the issue never came back. But it did teach me a valuable lesson.

There is old flying advice that says one should only switch tanks when overflying or somewhere very near an airport. If the valve malfunctions or gets stuck while switching, you only have a few seconds before the engine quits. My old school Van's fuel selector started acting up and getting a little jammed and hard to turn - very scary while airborne. I opened it up and overhauled it, and the issue never came back. But it did teach me a valuable lesson.
Yup. Change tanks when and where you can afford to lose an engine.

Depends on your fuel flow at the time.. on takeoff, it'll be much quicker than in cruise.. I would think 10 seconds or so in cruise.

Might take longer than you expect, and obviously depends on flow rate. Consider a that carbed 360 required a minute for the effects of a tank change to be noticed (100LL v. 10% ethanol). Flow was 9 gph.

It's one reason I never followed handbook rules of switching to the fullest tank for landing.