krjcolo

I have a chance to buy a 9A tail kit, was inventoried but remained in the box. It is about 5 years old. I save money if I buy it. The length of time bothers me, what are your thoughts?

I would have 2 concerns.

1) Have any of the design or material characteristics been modified by Vans since this particular kit was made. A quick call to Vans would answer this one.

2) What environmental demons have acted upon this kit while sitting in someones garage for 5+ years? I'd mostly be concerned with extended periods of trapped moisture. Is this kit from the southern states where humidity is a concern?

There may be others, but those are the main factors for me.

It should be just fine. IIRC, Van's offers a one-time update to the plans, and you should have no trouble keeping up with updates after that. Most plans changes are small and easy to implement even if you have older components. Now, the next question to ask yourself is what if the tail was already assembled? Would you consider it obsolete? I don't think so. I bought my kits from the factory but by the time I got my finishing kit the tail of my RV-6A had been built for over a decade. Things had changed, but not substantially and my airplane flies just fine with its 'old' tail.

The only real issue with an older kit is the condition of the components. But unless they were stored really poorly, it should not be a problem. You'll hear horror stories of the plastic on the parts being hard to remove or corrosion found underneath but a heat gun solves the first and the latter is uncommon and easily inspected for. Don't worry too much about surface corrosion on bar and angle stock if it's light because you can clean and prime the parts you fabricate from those materials. If you have any doubts, have a tech counselor or other builder look it over before you buy it. But being five years old, in itself, is not a show-stopper.

My QB fuselage sat in a garage in FL virtually untouched for over 5 years. The only thing I found was some light surface corrosion under the rear passenger bulkhead where there was metal to metal contact. A little scrubbing and a shot of primer cleaned it right up. You should be fine, but yes that plastic is a serious pain to pull off after its been on there for a while.

Just pulled the clear plastic off wing skins

for my -6A, bought over ten years ago. They had never been exposed to the sun so removal was very easy with a heat gun--heated small area so it was warm to the touch and worked it off. No corrosion, looked brand new.

My 6 empennage and wing kits were 14 years old when I bought them, and were only a couple of miles from the sea all of that time. However the owner had looked after the kit well and it was as new, no corrosion whatsoever.

Thank you for all the replies, I have decided to buy a new kit from Van's right after the Holidays!
Such a great group!