AX-O

Well Known Member
I have the option to buy a RV-4 that was ground looped. I think the fuse is beyond repair or would need so many hours to repair that it would almost be better to build a new one. Vans said that I could use the old wings and build/buy a new fuse. Currently the Aircraft has a Lyc 0320 B2B with Approx 1200 SMOH, Approx 325 STOH and all eng accessories (mags, starter, mufflers, ect). The aircraft has the new longer gear, new eng mount, and is night VFR with the panel redone in 2001. The prop is a wooden Pacesetter Model 200 (67 by 69). I know there are to many variances but at least, what would you pay for the FWF with gear legs and eng mount?

I paid $2,600 delivered for the TRI-Pacer in the same condition that had a B2B and METAL prop that had already been straightened. I got the FUSELAGE and FWF. Engine had 1,747 SMOH. That was 16 or 17 years ago.

In todays dollars, it would depend on the mood I am in. $7,500 may be the correct amount but it may be a little high.

Kind of a pain to mount old wings in a new fuse because the center section is drilled to match. Of course there are workarounds for everything. That's just the first problem I think of.

If you went to Vans built it price calculator and added or subtracted everything of value, then accounting for age and condition of various items, arrived at a price you would have a starting point. It could result in quite a cost savings to have all the parts from a finished airplane to work with. Or like some of the great engine rebuild sagas you could end up spending way more than you thought.

I have the option to buy a RV-4 that was ground looped. I think the fuse is beyond repair or would need so many hours to repair that it would almost be better to build a new one. Vans said that I could use the old wings and build/buy a new fuse. Currently the Aircraft has a Lyc 0320 B2B with Approx 1200 SMOH, Approx 325 STOH and all eng accessories (mags, starter, mufflers, ect). The aircraft has the new longer gear, new eng mount, and is night VFR with the panel redone in 2001. The prop is a wooden Pacesetter Model 200 (67 by 69). I know there are to many variances but at least, what would you pay for the FWF with gear legs and eng mount?

$6500. That way, no matter what you find, you won't be mad at yourself for getting married to this project. You should be able to get that back even if the engine is on its last run with a crank that is out of service limits.

You can tell....I am not interested in rebuilding a wrecked RV-4. :) But it would be interesting parting and selling it off.

No way has enough info been given that anyone could quote a price. Pulling those low ball numbers out of thin air is not doing him any service at all.

AX-O,

If you want some legit numbers you would need to post photos and an equipment list.

No way has enough info been given that anyone could quote a price. Pulling those low ball numbers out of thin air is not doing him any service at all.

AX-O,

If you want some legit numbers you would need to post photos and an equipment list.

It is a service because he won't be getting screwed.

It is very difficult to come up with what it is worth not knowing the market for used avionics or inspecting it physically. Pictures mean nothing as was evident of a recently wrecked RV-8. That airplane was a total wreck but did not look it. A 1200 SMOH engine is a pig in the poke unless the log tracks its life very clearly. It could be on its 4th run with the last OH 20 years ago.

$6500 tops as is. After shipping it will more anyhow already.

The name of this game is don't get screwed.

Kind of a pain to mount old wings in a new fuse because the center section is drilled to match. Of course there are workarounds for everything. That's just the first problem I think of.

If you went to Vans built it price calculator and added or subtracted everything of value, then accounting for age and condition of various items, arrived at a price you would have a starting point. It could result in quite a cost savings to have all the parts from a finished airplane to work with. Or like some of the great engine rebuild sagas you could end up spending way more than you thought.

If you're going to build a new fuselage its really no big deal drilling the center section to match the wings. Its the other way around that is a problem. FWIW, the fuselage was the quickest and most fun of all kits to build.
Tin Man