Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it has wing walk material on the flaps. We have a "no step" there on ours. I would hate for someone to step there?
As for what would you pay, I would not purchase an aircraft from a photo.
Ron

Looks like it has wing walk material on the flaps.

Looks to me like blue plastic film on the flaps only, with writing. Perhaps that says "No Step"? Wings appear to have no wing walk material at all.

All,

This is a mid-time engine, steam gauges, well built plane (1 hour on airframe).

How much would you pay for this plane?

http://avee8tor.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Tims-RV-10/2336280_Yo3ae#1245538959_hkEHw

Thanks all.

I hope you take the following as a constructive comment…

When a seller is reluctant to list an asking price, the lack thereof, would raise suspicion in the mind of the buyer about the quality of the product, or at least indicate that the seller really isn’t serious about the sale. In both cases, the seller loses.

If you like to test the waters without showing your hand, I would suggest you list the aircraft on eBay with a starting bid and a reserve price. It is perhaps not the best venue to sell an airplane, but at least you would get a picture of bidding interest. You could even post an announcement on VAF that you are placing the aircraft up for bid on eBay [ed. Sorry, no ebay links allowed here. dr], and perhaps you may draw some of the forum readers into the bidding process.

If you are in fact serious about selling, I wish you success.

A non-constructive comment follows:

Based on the current bid activity, my bid is $1001.00:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree with DAGO's constructive comment. The "what's it worth" approach leaves a lot of questions in a potential buyers mind. The one hour of flight time doesn't build a lot of confidence either, a demo ride is out of the question. If I were going to make a serious offer, and I'm not, the offer would be based on parts cost and not much more.

OK, $1001.50, cash today. :D

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Pre buy

What is it worth?

Question,,,,

Hire me to do a pre buy inspestion. If, it has has been built to my standards, better +$, or less- $ ,,,,, this plane is worth what the buyer will pay. We could work out the cost and effort to reproduce. Some think an un painted RV is good. So they can pick their color.

Last edited:
Market value

I sell software for a living and price is never set by us, its set by our competitor.

When the client says, sure your stuff is cool but I can get something pretty close to it from this other guy and his price is about 75% of what yours is.

At that point, Market value has been defined.

When you say "what would you like to pay", you are giving the buyer the power. ie $1

You want to say, This is what it has, try getting the same thing anywhere else for that price. ( they will look )

The key to getting the price you want is knowing the real cost to the buyer in TIME!

Do they want to build it themselves or pay the very reasonable price you have put forward for your excellent workmanship.

Try that its the extra things that will be difficult for them to do, that they will want that will drive the price up.

This looks..

.... like a really well built plane. :)

I'm sure you are aware of the low exchange-rate USD vs some other currencies nowadays, so it might be worth the effort to advertise your plane in European countries too.

Also; if it's possible for you to fly off phase 1, then this plane would be so much more interesting for a potential buyer.
My gut feeling is that I would be really hesitant to buy a plane with only 1 hr flight time.
BTW; how will you be able to give demo-rides with 1 hour flight time on the plane? (just wondwering...:confused:)

The mid-time engine and the steam-gauges will drag the price down.

For the right buyer, the unpainted plane will drag the price up. :)

It'd be nice of you add some detailed pics of the engine & compartment at this stage (finished plane).

A pre-buy inspection will definetely be worth the trouble.
For an overseas-sale, I'd say that is a must.

Have you considered bringing in a partner so you'll be able to keep this beauty? When all expences go from 100% to 50%, then maybe that'll be an option for you?

Just some thoughts from Norway on a Saturday morning.... :)

Last edited:
I read all your previous post and understand you are selling due to a divorce. That sucks!

Have someone complete the 40 hour phase and sell that thing accordingly. If not, be prepared to loose about 25% of the ongoing comparative retail prices. 1/2 time engine is also not an asset in any evaluation. It will not add any value to the aircraft since it is at the BE point.

We are close enough...i can do a pre buy, fly the 40 hours and offer my selling services to you.

Last edited:
you guys...............too funny

Thanks all for the interesting comments.

I am not going to sell her, just wanted to get some idea what something like this might be worth. I am going through a divorce and trying to do a little due diligence.

Let's see if memory serves me, my first house was a 1963 Chevy, would not be the first time my home was on wheels.

She flew for the first time on 4 July 11, was an amazing feeling, hope all had a nice 4th.

Last edited:
...I'd pay $100,000.

Best,

But if one is dividing assets as part of the divorce process...wouldn't it be more advantagous for the RV to be valued less? If he keeps a $100K RV she get's $50K cash. If he keeps $1 RV she get's a 50 cent soda pop. Or am I thinking about this backwards?

Most lawyers don't know the prices of RV's.

It's easy enough to find market value of most any airplane. Even if her lawyer was born at night, I can assure you that it wasn't LAST night:)...besides, the original question was, "How much would I pay for this airplane?" The division of assets wasn't mentioned.

I kept my -6A after the divorce but it wasn't easy.

Best,

Recently went through this.

As mentioned earlier, lawyers don't have a clue of the value of your airplane, let alone the way the experimental part of GA works.

Her layer; So, for the sake of the marriage settlement agreement, what is the actual value of your aircraft?

Me; "Well sir, building an experimental aircraft is actually a lousy investment. Anyone who does this is in it strictly for the passion of it. In fact, an unfinished airplane is worth WAY less than the sum of it's parts! Even though they've never flown, all that equipment is actually used now! Then there's the whole idea of liability that is incurred when you are the manufacturer! Gee, I don't think I could sell it with THAT hanging over my head?! Could you? Wow, yeah, the actual airframe might be worth next to nuthin! So, by the time you parted it out, you MIGHT get 40 cents on the dollar.........maybe."

So, he demanded an appraisal from a known appraiser. Gee, the local guy won't touch an appraisal on an experimental with a ten foot pole.

Case made.:D

and you can always turn it around on them. Ask them what they think it is worth and then say "okay, it's yours, I'll take xxx in exchange". Guy I know did that when the soon-to-be wife wanted half the "value" of his company. He said "take it all, you run it. I'll take the house, etc." Suddenly it wasn't as attractive...

Is this off topic?

I don't know if this is off topic any more (hard to tell on this one)

I think when people (nice to say people rather than women) get what was a human connection and demand compensation for ....I don't know.....not having made something of themselves.... I still haven't worked out what men owe them.....I think when that happens anything they get poisons their lives and I give full support to any technique that can be used to make sure NO transaction occurs.

Turning relationships based on love into relationships based on business gain is one of the most disgusting parts of our modern society.

I knew a guy that loved his boat, a huge fishing cruiser. He bought a burnt out engine for a grand, pulled out everything of value in his boat dumped in the blown motor and torched everything saying it was an electrical fault. Told me, the hull is the cheap bit. All I lost was 10%. No way she was going to get any part of this.

Just sad that it has to get that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.