At what altitude? Weight? OAT? Close to Class A at nearly full gross I barely get 200 fpm.

OK ...I'll jump in ...

Flying solo with full tanks I'm consistently seeing +1600FPM at 90-95kts at 50 to 70F OAT.
... A fellow 9A driver with an IO-360 tells me +2000 FPM is no problem.

Sorry, I'm asking for vertical, as in how many feet you can climb straight up before you stop. I understand people's numbers will vary just post what you have experienced. Entry speed alt etc

Last edited:
vertical versus airspeed

Erik,
I determined the vertical height in a hammer head versus entrance airspeed awhile back, but can't find the data. Aircraft is an RV-4, 160 hp, fixed Performance prop, max rpm 2750 WOT, entrance altitude 2000 feet AGL, 4 G pull to vertical. Airspeeds varied from 110 to 160 knots. The max vertical at the top of the hammer head was about 1100 feet at 160 knots rotation speed. I also saw 7000 ft/min on the VS with the Dynon.
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
Alabama (roll tide)

Hey Bill what are your contest plans for 2013?..see you soon my friend! I enjoyed your last video

Good info

Thanks Bill for that PIREP...I have a 160 HP RV-4 and was wondering the same. Great data from someone who knows from experience.

How much altitude do most people use for a loop ?

I don't really know, I'd guess about 500'. The main thing I'm doing is pulling at about 3G at the beginning (and end) and trying to keep it round.

I'm curious, how does altitude gain matter for doing a loop? I've only cared about Gs and speeds.

I don't really know, I'd guess about 500'. The main thing I'm doing is pulling at about 3G at the beginning (and end) and trying to keep it round.

I'm curious, how does altitude gain matter for doing a loop? I've only cared about Gs and speeds.

It doesn't just curious. Looking forward to taking some lessons and applying it to my 6a someday

I will let you know soon. I am at the end stage on my 200HP, constant speed whirlwind 150C, 985 pounds. It should go pretty good.

Never Enough

I had an instructor in AF Pilot training who had flown U-2's thru nuclear clouds doing research for NASA; he had the oddest eternal orange-ish tan. Anyway, over his desk, he had hung a sign that read: "You can never have too much vertical."
Clay Cookie Monster Cook