mikehoover

Well Known Member
I thought I had seen the dimension on the drawings somewhere for how much to trim off of the slider canopy aft edge but I can't find it now. Looking too hard I suppose. I thought it was in about the 1/2" to 1" range from the center of the aft bow to the aft edge of the plexiglass, but want to verify that before I trim it.

Thanks!

Mike,

I can't help you out as I have a tip-up but by reading your recent posts, it sounds like you are back at it and making some real progress. Let know when you are ready for another motivational RV ride.

I thought I had seen the dimension on the drawings somewhere for how much to trim off of the slider canopy aft edge but I can't find it now. Looking too hard I suppose. I thought it was in about the 1/2" to 1" range from the center of the aft bow to the aft edge of the plexiglass, but want to verify that before I trim it.

Thanks!
Anything in that range is fine, Mike, because your rear skirt is going to cover whatever extra there is anyway. A better way to determine how much to leave is to base it on how neat of a transition you want to make between canopy and aft fuse skin. Note that the aft plexi edge often has sort of a duck tail (or ski jump) right at the aft edge. Removing that will aid in keeping the plexi and aft skin on the same plane. This is almost essential if you are planning a metal skirt, but it will also help make for an easier fiberglass skirt as well. In any case, if you haven't yet got that far, you don't really need to decide this until you get the plexi all drilled to the frame.

Hope this helps.

I don't have my prints in front of me but let me echo Steve M's advice about removing the duck tail from the aft edge. I had the same condition so I removed the upward curving lip using my portable belt sander. Depending on the severity of the curve, the suggested distance from the canopy frame centerline and the plexi edge may not end up per print.
It won't be long now until that first flight.