Kalgoorlie Air BP

I'm New Here
G'day Guys.
I'm new to this forum and looking at building an RV10. My girlfriend and I are coming to Oshkosh this July and were wondering how much time we would need to research most things I will need for the build. I was planning on 4 days, is this enough time?

On a separate note I am the aircraft refueller at Kalgoorlie Airport (AUS), so any of you Australian RV'ers in the area, feel free to stop by.

Mac

Hello Mac

I'll have to come for a visit.

Cheers

G'day Guys.
I'm new to this forum and looking at building an RV10. My girlfriend and I are coming to Oshkosh this July and were wondering how much time we would need to research most things I will need for the build. I was planning on 4 days, is this enough time?

On a separate note I am the aircraft refueller at Kalgoorlie Airport (AUS), so any of you Australian RV'ers in the area, feel free to stop by.

Mac

I was planning on 4 days, is this enough time?

Four days will give you the flavor of OSH and give you some time to stop at vendors and talk to RV builders but more time is always better. You can fill every day with fun/interesting things no matter how long you are there as the show turns over several times during the week. I spend 4 days every year for the last 15 and I am no longer building.

Thanks so much, looks like we will be there for 4 days from 28th-31st. If there is anyone out there with an RV10 that would be willing to take us for a fly that would be greatly appreciated. Happy to pay for fuel/time.
Thanks again
Mac

All of it.

Spend all week! There's no way to see/do it all, but you can try. And you're more likely to score an RV-10 ride if you haven't yet. If I'm there when you are you can have one in mine.

Mac, be sure to visit us in homebuilt camping. Lots of RVs there, as well as many other interesting experimentals. One of my favorite things at Oshkosh is roaming around HBC meeting new friends and learning about their airplanes. Every airplane and owner has a unique story!

On your question, I'd say 4 days is a good minimum. On the years when I could only stay for 3, I felt like I needed to stay for just one more day.

Welcome

Welcome Mac. We spent three days our first trip last year and I felt rushed. There are so many workshops, vendors and airshows to see. There are airplanes both on the grounds and in other areas from amphibians to jets including experimentals of all kinds, antiques and warbirds. Just walking through the flea market takes a big chunk of a day. My wife was so excited to get autographs every day. We met and got photos with Patti Wagstaff, Sean Tucker and several others.
I booked the whole week this time. :D

It all depends on how efficient you are at moving around and soaking up the info you need. If you want to enjoy it at a casual pace, stopping and talking to many people, then 4 days might be fine. If you know in advance exactly what you want to see and experience to aid you in your build and have the physical stamina to quickly move about, then 4 days is plenty. My first time at OSH was several years ago and I only had one day to spend. I defined in advance what I needed to accomplish to get me started on my RV9 build, became familiar with the layout of OSH and where the various vendors were, and when I got there I moved along at a fast pace. By the end of the day I had accomplished my mission, had blisters on my feet and left with a smile. Next time back I'll go at a leisurely pace and look forward to talking with fellow RVers and building some friendships.

Last edited:
Here is the way it works Thursday before the show opens 80% of the structure is there but few people its a ghost town,Vans has an empty tent,nothing there.By Friday Plane & vendors arrive and start to set up,The place is starting to come alive.Saturday is full swing set up time no time to talk as vendors are getting set up Sunday Camping is filling up vendors are finishing there set ups.Monday the Show opens,it a rush to see whats new,Who has the best show prices,Who has the best give a ways,forums start,HBC is filling up,first air show.By day three the give away hats are gone as well as the good stuff in the fly market but you know where the real toilets are and who has good coffee. If your only on the ground for four days make it the start of the show.You won't be able to see everything in a week.Best airshow is the night show on Saturday,Sunday everybody packs up and gos home.Monday the place is empty except for the clean up crews.For one week a year its the Greatest Show on Earth for Wing Nuts.See you at Oshkosh!
RHill:)

Your in for some Excitement !

Welcome Mac.:)
The earlier in the show the better to look at and inspect and talk to RV owner/builders. By Wednesday people start leaving and by Friday there's a lot of empty parking tie-downs. :eek: The vendors are there all week and always ready to help till they close at the start of the daily airshow. Go to EAA.org and do some research. Get a map of the site to get familiar with the layout. Airventure can easily overwhelm first time visitors. Also by getting there on opening day the odds of filling up you swag bag are greatly increased. The first "Osh" is always the best. :D Oh' and the most important advise........Wear comfortable shoes! ;)

I found I learned more about what I wanted by listening to other experienced builders ask the vendors questions. They know what to ask , I cannot think of questions to ask unless I'm at home. I also liked casually speaking with other builders but found it hard to be in the right places at the right time. From what I've learned if I had to do it again, I would try and get a camping site in with the RV (campers) of a group of builders, who have build the same model I'm building. The evening campfire social has more advise than anywhere else( my opinion only). This is the atmosphere where things sink in for me.

I've attended OSH for 32 consecutive years, and can tell you without question that four days is not enough.

Of course, if you don't plan your time logically, no amount of time is enough. We have found that in order to see the show it is necessary to carefully plot your course, and stick with it.

For example, Day One might be a general walkthrough. For us, that's just to see what's new. Plan on walking 6+ miles. Wear comfy shoes!

Day Two might be the four big buildings. A quick walk through will take half a day, and then you can go back to what interests you.

And so on. Even if it's your primary mission, don't just plan on visiting the RV areas -- that's probably <10% of the convention.

We always go for the full week, and never feel like we've seen everything!

Last year was my first year attending and flying into OSH. I flew up from Georgia Friday afternoon and stayed at 63C Adams County - great little FBO. They let me spend the night on their pullout couch in the FBO, had a shower, etc. (I was expecting to camp). I then left very early to arrive as the field was opening. I did so because it was my first time flying in and I didn't want to do the arrival when busy. It worked out great. Spent the week in HBC and had an incredible time!

I was getting ready to begin my build, so I attended a lot of workshops/forums, but also saw much of the grounds, and all of the vendors. I left Friday AM and felt like I had plenty of time, so I think 4 days would be sufficient. I say this assuming that you are in half-decent shape and are able to walk quickly and far! The best part was early morning coffee in the HBC tent, meeting and talking to all the great folks with your same addiction. It truly was an awesome experience, and I'm very excited for this summer. Hopefully I will see some of the same folks again this year.

Did you make you housing arrangements?

I stay the Oshkosh Christian School. Met several Ausies there. Do a search on the forum or go to the Airventure website to find out more.

Does anyone know what the policy is about taking in and using electric scooters or Segways at OSH?

Electric chair scooters are allowed and are available for rent.

Scooters (two wheel kind) and segways aren't allowed on the show grounds,but can be used in camp Scholler.

Ideally, for your first time you should go with someone experienced. Just getting "the lay of the land" takes a while. Figuring out the trams will save you a lot of time. Never walk when you can ride! But the biggest thing IMHO is good planning. You can download the list of vendors, and where they are located. Buildings A, B, C, and D are booths 1XXX, 2XXX, etc. Plan where you want to spend time and make a list of vender booth numbers. Also, download the list of forums. Attend those that interest you, don't just walk until you have to have a place to sit down.

Plan on half a day at the museum--it is worth it. Set aside some time for your other interests; seaplanes, warbirds, etc. While shopping for the project is important, seeing the other things will give you a more well-rounded experience. I am a fan of camping, but it isn't for everyone. While I rarely spend time just watching airshows, you might want to.

In case you haven't done it, go to Google Earth and look at the show layout (it was taken on Monday, 2011.) You will never see it all.

So, four days is possible, but not really enough. I used to do that, and always came home exhausted. The more time you spend, the easier it will be. Remember, if you walk PAST the rows of airplanes, it is about eight miles. If you walk DOWN the rows...

Bob

This will be the year of my first visit to Osh. Me and a mate of mine are planning on the whole week except for the last day when we head off to the Smithsonian. After all I have heard and seen about this amazing show, I can hardly wait.
Went and bought a pair of comfy shoes, just for this trip, yesterday.:)

Thanks so much guys

Thanks you all so much for your replies. My girlfriend and I have decided that we will be renting a motorhome and will be staying at Camp Scholler. If there are any RV'ists, particularly those with RV10's that would like to adopt an Australian for the week please make yourself known. It would be great to meet up with you guys.
Thanks
Mac