AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi,

I want to know how much time did you spend painting your RV?.

I sent my almost ready to fly RV-8 to paint shop on May 25th 2009, I dissasemble the aircraft myself and Painter told me he would start painting on June 12th. I gave the guy half the money on advance and he said my plane would be ready on July 12th, but 3 month later he just finish painting the empanege, wheel pants, and he said maybe the wings would be ready by the weekend. he said next week he would start with fuselage (cowling is already paint in base color) and also said that probably the fuselage would be ready by the end of month, of course I donĀ“t beleave him.

So guys please tell me if this time is normal or I am just in a harry to get my plane ready and get it on the air:confused:

Also I have to say quality is excellent but is so slow:mad:

Last edited:
I painted my RV-10 with a freind who I didn't have to instruct and it took us two and a half months....part time during the week and all day on the weekends....I'd say your painter is a bit slow and is putting your project on the back burner when other customers begin to squeak.

There is no 'right' answer to how long it takes to paint a plane. My brother Michael is a professional painter for Boeing, and along with a co-worker of his, finished our plane in 5 days (12 hours/day :) Rosie

n628pv_1.gif

BGE01.jpg

Sounds like you are not a priority for this painter. I painted mine myself. Set up a paint booth in my driveway, made from a 10' by 20' carport enclosure. I did a two-tone paint scheme with a checked rudder. There were 12 different paint "batches" of the disassembled airplane. Took me about 8 weeks of after-hours and weekend time while still leading a normal life.