How much sealant did you use to do both tanks?

• Total voters

Brantel

Well Known Member
How much proseal did you use when sealing your tanks?

I know Van's states that you can do both tanks with the quart kit, but I won't have enough... Must be using too much but I don't want any leaks!

Last edited:
Brian,

I really slathered it on (I voted above). Gave the rest to Jay Pratt if memory serves. I am pretty sure repeat offenders use less.
B,D

.......used 1.75 qts, but I guaranteed there were no leaks........and sure enough there were none when tested :D

i am the other 33.3 %

i used far less than a quart, but i dont waste a drop. leak tested and gooood to gooooo. i dont know where you would put more thana quart other than in the trash.
used chiseled popsicle sticks and really kept the tanks clean remember there isnt even a quart in a quart can. spruce sells pint cans for 10 bucks more than vans quart size.
its a pet peve of mine. i have taken engines apart with excess sealer stopping up things like oil pumps, trans filters and the like . if its not in the joint it is wasted fod

Last edited:
I also used far less than a quart on my first RV.
I have built many other sets since and only use about 1/2 of a can for a two seat model set of tanks.

Most builders use far more than needed (particularly on all of the mid tank ribs).

It is not how much you use...it is how you apply it, that matters.

I used about 1.5 qts. to do 4 tanks (2 RV-6s) in 1992. No leaks in any of them to date.

I used 1.25 quarts, but I bet half was thrown away in the mixing cups when I was done. I always seemed to mix more than I needed. I saved all the cups to make sure the stuff set up, and there was definitely a lot left in most of them when I finished the tanks. No leaks now (one small leak at the inboard LE on one tank, fixed and good to go).

Thomas

I got through everything except one baffel with one can. Kind of made me mad that I needed to spend $40 to get another quart, but I would rather spend $40 and do it right than battle with leaks.

I used two kits but only because the time between building tanks pushed the first kit out of shelf life. I have about half of each left and was planning to use them for general airframe gluing, gooping and sealing if the material will still mix and set. Didn't want to risk actual tank sealing with dated material though.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-Up O360-A1A
"Last 10%"
PS - With each mix I made a 1" wide aluminum lap joint sample, prepared the same as the tank, and have had these "pickling" in a jar of gas since they were made. It's not as weird as it seems since any deterioration in these over time will indicate the need for a thorough tank check! Canary in the coal mine type thing.

Now that's an excellent idea - we need to have some of those sitting in 92UL with 10% EtOH.

I used five (5) Semkits (6 oz cartridge with 3.5 oz sealent) to seal both RV-6 fuel tanks over 15 years ago. I will only use a pneumatic sealent gun for sealing tanks. No leaks for the almost 10 years 1,985+ flying hours.

The Semkit cartridges are NOT listed as an option in the poll.

Just under a qt, but not by much....

I think I could do better next time (meaning less). As it was I had a little left on a qt can, but not much.

I ended up using about 3/4 of a quart kit on my first tank. Looks like for the second one, I will most likely use about 1/2 a quart kit. No leaks on the first one :D