Dune

After using the search function and not finding the answer, here's the question:

How much paint do I need to buy for a -7?

Details:

Single stage PPG Concept (Automotive 2 part) This is what I used on the interior.
The whole airplane will be painted with this one color. I want to have enough for 2 light coats.

Question is for the paint only; no primer, reducer or hardener. I need to start on a few small parts and want to have the mix done in one batch one time.

My buddy says he used 2 gallons on his -6; that seemed like it was too much hence my posting the question here.

Thanks.

Dune Lorant
RV-7
Montgomery TX

Last edited:
Painting RV7

I painted my 7A this last year, myself, and I thought I used about 5 gallons. (Not including all the primers, activators, accelerators, hardeners, etc. But I used three colors and had left over. And I sent a lot up into the filters of the paint booth. I didn't thin, except for what the TDS said to do. And I put on a couple or three wet coats. One color was blue and that took a lot of paint to cover. I used single stage urethane by Dupont called NASON which is a car paint, but you can buy it locally. 2 gallons sounds like enough to do the wings.

My RV7 was completely etch primed before painting.

I then used a two pack polyurethane, 3 different colours.

The aircraft was painted with three light coats of each colour and I used approximately 7 liters or 1.8 gallons.

This is a recent photo, now 4 years on and 560hrs

https://postimg.org/image/epklj4t1n/

Cheers

Last edited:
I used 2.5 gal white and .5 gal blue. Total 3 gallons. Two wet coats is the best approach using PPG Concept if no buffing is planned in my opinion.