I'm looking at trying to paint my 4 soon. For those of you that have done it yourself, about how much paint is required? I'm looking at a simple scheme, likely a solid color for the entire plane with some vinyl accents.

Last edited:
5 gallons of paint for a RV7A

I just painted my 7A and it took 5 gallons of paint. It took a lot of primer and etch primer. I used Nason single stage polyurethane system available at auto part stores and it is the same as aircraft paint but easier to get.

I painted my RV-6A in a red and white scheme. I used 1.75 gallons of white and a bit less than 1 gallon of Red single-stage. I probably used a gallon and a quarter of Epoxy primer. I probably used about 1/4-1/2 gallon of clear coat on top of some of the single stage. These do not include activator quantities.

Good luck with your project. Let me know if you need a recommendation for paint. I have a great supplier.

Larry

Last edited:
I'm looking at trying to paint my 4 soon. For those of you that have done it yourself, about how much paint is required? I'm looking at a simple scheme, likely a solid color for the entire plane with some vinyl accents.

There are lots of assumptions that go with paint quantity. Single stage or two stage? Conventional or HVLP sprayer? Experienced painter or neophyte?

I was a neophyte and probably used 5 gallons of single stage paint through a conventional gun on my RV-6. I guarantee you that if I'd started right into painting another RV when I finished that one, I could have done it with 3 to 3 1/2 gallons.

Five gallons is about what I used, 4 colors two primers colors (mixed 10 gallons) then there was three gallons epoxy primer, two gallons clear I used DuPont chromabase, and went through 5 HVLP guns. Over 5K in materials guns, mask, filters ect. three years in the making and it is still just an OK paint job that needs a few runs fixed. lots of arguments about paint smell and stress. but it was fun!

Primer used

I used about 1 gallons of etch primer. It is used with just one thin coat and only on aluminum parts. Not used on fiberglass parts.

I used 4 gallons of sand able primer. Everything got primed with at least two coats.

This does not include the catalyst, reducers, activators, and accelerators.

I used 2 HVLP Devilbiss guns, one for primer one for paint. I followed the spec sheets. I sprayed at 25 psi at gauge which is 10 psi at novel. I waited the designated time between coats. I had a paint both and a lot of overspray went up the filter. I used the DeKups disposable cups and recommend them.

I took the class from Sherwin Williams last summer which I recommend.

My 7A is half white on top and half blue on bottom with a grey stripe in between.

I used all PPG products (base and clear coat)

For the RV-8A:
- 1 gallon PPG-DP40LF primer (this was after all the fiberglass pinhole fill, prime, sand, repeat was done). One coat and apply first base coat as soon as allowed.

- 1.5 gallons of base yellow (two coats)
- 1.5 gallons of pearl on top of the yellow (tri coat color) (two coats)
- 1 gallon of metallic blue (base coat) (bottom of plane, wheel pants, wingtips and trim) (two coats)
- 1.5 gallon of urethane clear (two coats)
- 4 gallons of temperature appropriate reducer
- A boatload of Fineline tape and masking paper

For the RV-10 more than double the paint - and ten times harder. I had a lot of rework to do. Next time I'll get help.

Keep track of your times.

Carl

I took the class from Sherwin Williams last summer which I recommend.

My 7A is half white on top and half blue on bottom with a grey stripe in between.

You took the Sherwin Williams class but used Nason paint.

Was there a reason for not using the S-W products?

What I did

I painted my -4, Single color, PPG Desothane White (Airliner paint) which is single stage Urethane. I got mine in a 4 gallon kit (3 parts and reducer), and when done I had about a half gallon left over. I painted with all flt controls off, so paint covers every bit of the aircraft. I used PPG Dp-40 primer (thin coat) and 3 coats of the Desothane top coat. Because I got my paint "donated" from a project at my day job, I only had to buy the primer...so, I have $300.00 total dollars in my paint job. Glad I did it myself!