JohnM333

I'm New Here
First I am no mechanic. I can tinker a bit but I just don't have the skills, nor the time, to work much on an airplane. I will be looking into buying a 4 already put together ready to have fun and letting the mechanic do any necessary work.

My question is about the personality of the RV's. Since it is a homebuilt, is there more tinkering or work involved than lets say a Cessna 172? If so, that would make my costs go up a bit.

I can see there is a whole lot more passion with this airplane. But do most guys who buy this plane do so because they also like to work on the plane?

Thanks for all the replies.

John

It Depends

John:
I had a series of Cessna T210s that I used over a fairly long period of time. Averaged about 250-300 hours per year use. Maintenance, including annuals was generally in the area of $10,000 to $15,000 per year. While this was a single engine aircraft, the level of complexity (turbo, known ice, O2 system, etc) drove those costs upward.
I've had my RV9-A six years now, and my total annual maintenance has averaged less than $500. Of course, my labor is free, but other than annual condition inspections, the parts end has included oil and filters, three alternators (they're automotive aftermarket), tubes, tires, and brake pads.Oh yeah, have also replaced the Van's Oil Pressure transducer and gage ($80). I had a shop troubleshoot that problem this year (and time mags, change oil, clean and gap plugs) for an additional cost of just under $500 - that's my biggest bill so far. Hope this helps.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

It varies greatly

Just like it would with a certified aircraft. If you can find a relatively new airplane built by a known experienced builder, your risk is lowered. Otherwise, it is a **** shoot.