ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding when to stop adding fiberglass over top of the roll bar/windshield of my slider. I haven't cut the fiberglass down to it's proper overhang yet (1/4" to 1/2" beyond the windshield says the drawing). Over the top, where people tend to grab, I mixed in some milled glass and flox to strengthen it up so it's pretty stiff up there. Along the sides however, I didn't stiffen things up as much. There is a bit of flex there and I know, that's not good for the paint that will be eventually on there. When I cut the fiberglass to its proper size, the smaller moment arm will mean less flex of course.

So, my question is, just how stiff do I make this fiberglass? Does anybody's flex a little bit and has that been ok?

Thanks

After watching Vans demo plane at Oshkosh crack while a person put pressure on the top of the fiberglass over the roll bar, I deceided that I would build mine really tough. I too used carbon. I think I used two layers along with 4 layers of regular glass. I may have added another layer or two of regular glass. I have no flex. Just the way I planned it. If you wish I can measure the thickness.

There are aftermarket handles.....

....that you can install even with the windshield already in place. They are a natural "grab" and will hopefully prevent passengers from grabbing the fiberglass. That and give them a thorough pre-flight briefing and no-no's:)

Best,

Glen,

I bought the handles on Aircraft Extras here. Easy install...just watch the plexi as you drill the holes in the roll bar, and watch the fit of the slider over the handles. Mine is just a bit close, and the paint on the handles shows it a little.

When I brief folks on how to climb in, I demo how, then I point out the handles, and ask them not to push or pull on anything red (my paint) or clear.

I'll check on the flex of the top and sides today for Kelly...though I got what I bought, so it may not be definitive...just one data point.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Side rails, windshield support down tube and seat back top are the "integral" handles. And I tell 'em just step on the seat (a pad protects it)...but better a foot mark than a cracked canopy, eh!! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

grab handles

the aviation department at Home Depot has a great selection of U-shaped grab handles (door pulls)!! Look in the aircraft cabinet department.

My fairing is pretty robust, I think four layers of heavy glass, maybe .125" thick. probably the weakest link is the bond between glass and plexi. That is pretty fragile no matter what.

Fly on!

Last edited:
I just cut down my glass to extend beyond the roll bar by just over an inch the other night. The drawing shows 1/2" max but I'm going to stick with an inch for now. I have to say, I really don't have any flex to speak of now. My efforts in sandwiching chopped glass between fiberglass layers seemed to have paid off.

I'll fly it around for quite a while without paint so if I need to make any mods, they should be easy. I could also add handles in the future if I need to but as of now, that looks unnecessary.

Thanks for the replies.

USE THE HANDLES.... from Aircraft Extras

You might not be sorry if you don't install the handles but you will be wildly estatically happy that you did when you see how much easier it is to pull yourself out from under the panel after you have layed on your back for an hour. You will be particularly glad when you see how many times passengers instinctivly grab the glass if there are no handles no matter how many times you tell them. Tell them to grab the handles and they will, tell them not to grab the fairing and they will forget!

Also, you don't want to use the stuff from Home Depot. They make a nice pull for the rear of the canopy but they don't mount through the roll bar. They screw to it which makes them easy to bend the bolts and loosen up. They are simply not deep enough for the job. Look closely at the way the Aircraft Extras install before you settle for Home Depot. They go all the way through the roll bar which makes the install much stronger.

Bill S
7a 25 hours just flown off : -)

Bent handles?

Has anyone had an issue with these roll bar handles bending?

I like the idea of adding these handles but it seems that a 200+ pound person could reshape 5/16" aluminum rod. I can see that installing them through the rear of the roll bar then screwing them to the front adds a lot of strength but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has had any issues.

I have the Aircraft Extras handles and both My wife and I are well north of 200lbs and there is no sign of any bending. It seems natural for passengers to use them also.

I just cut down my glass to extend beyond the roll bar by just over an inch the other night. The drawing shows 1/2" max but I'm going to stick with an inch for now. I have to say, I really don't have any flex to speak of now. My efforts in sandwiching chopped glass between fiberglass layers seemed to have paid off.

The farther aft you extend the lip or the glass, the more leverage someone can apply. That leverage eventually transfers to the plexiglass.