How Much Did You Spend On Tools and Workshop Stuff?

• <$1000 - I had most of them.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • $1000 - $2000 - I was pretty well equipped, but still bought quite a bit.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • $3000 - $5000 - I didn't have much, and wanted the right stuff.

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • $5000 - $7500 - I needed everything!

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • $7500+ - I only buy the best tools, and lots of them!

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

DevDad

Well Known Member
I am beginning to plan for all of tools I am going to need to get this project "off the ground", and it's pretty amazing. Based on the initial plans, here is what I came up with:

Planning For Tools

It ended up working out to about $5200, and I'd assume I'm missing quite a bit. I'd love if you guys could look over what I specified, and let me know what I'm missing, what isn't necessary, etc. Also, it'd be cool if you guys would say what you had to spend on tools over the course of the entire project.

Thanks!
Mike

I looked at your list and noticed you said you had nothing. So don't forget hand tools(screwdrivers, allen wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc) and get a cordless drill also. Tap & die set, measuring tools( steel rules, calipers, etc), levels, plumb bobs, sawhorses. Bins, containers, organizers. lubes, cleaners, shoprags,

anyway you'll spend all you got then some.

Your list wouldn't come up for me just now, but I can't imagine spending $5200. I started with a small air compressor, a drill press, and a full set of wrenches. Since then I've spent a grand total of $2330 on al l my aviation tools ... the only major item I don't have at this time is a pneumatic squeezer. Oh yeah ... my big-as* work table (3.5' x 7') and the wing cart are another $150.

You can spend amount you wish, but you certainly don't HAVE to spend $5200.

Terry

Your poll skips the 2000-3000 range, so I voted for 3000-5000, BUT my exact grand total as of right now is $2,895.24 (including shipping), so rounded to $3k, I'm in that category. BUT, this is current, NOT what I started with. I probably got started with about $1500 in tools. I did not buy a kit...everything was purchased as needed.

Here's my list of what I currently have, where I got the item, and what I paid (including a few things I sold)...all items include shipping/handling charges if there was any.

Scotchbrite wheel Van's $52.45
Dimple Dies Cleveland $27.12
Cleco's/Boelube ATS $16.35
Rivet Gun Ebay $113.75
Flush set/steel plate Yard $21.42
Countersinks Ebay $14.00
Air drill Ebay $16.24
Cleco's/Pliers Ebay $12.85
Backrivet set ATS $25.55
Shop head gauge ATS $14.95
Cleco pack ATS $8.50
Rivet set for hand dimpler ATS $26.68
Dimple die extension ATS $12.95
Pop dimple dies ATS $11.90
Universal rivet sets Ebay $33.00
Speed deburring tool ATS $21.24
Rivet Tape ATS $6.50
Swivel regulator ATS $13.95
Home made bench dimpler Heritage $21.45
Drill bits Ebay $11.84
Fluting pliers ATS $22.24
Ccutter/rivet gauge/clecos ATS $28.69
Bandsaw Sears $59.00
Bandsaw blade Carbide $14.71
Drill press Sears $35.00
Drill bits/cleco's ATS $29.71
Dimple die set/clecos ATS $43.28
Drill bits/cleco's ATS $34.22
Pneumatic squeezer Yard $357.17
Squeezer set Yard $20.27
Edge roller Cleveland $46.65
Scotchbrite pads Cleveland $14.62
Rod end bearing tool Avery $20.00
Fiberglass tools/supplies Boat US $130.27
Drill bushing McMaster $13.21
Plastic squeegee Boat US $3.40
Deburring bit ATS $13.24
Steel rule/chip chaser ACSS $18.75
T-88 epoxy ACSS $21.40
Wing stands Heritage $121.99
Mandrel Cleveland $5.50
Ccutter/clecos/wheel Cleveland $75.17
Caliper HarborFre $14.98
Air compressor 5 gal Ebay $111.00
Air compressor 3 gal Ebay $95.00
Barstock Heritage $12.46
Sold 3 gal to Dad $80.00
Air compressor 33 gal Sears $373.98
Sold 33 gal to Gary D. $250.00
Adjustable set holder Avery $55.50
Oilers/drill bits/swivel Yard $40.22
Polish wheel/mandrel Cleveland $19.86
Offset set/snap socs Brown $33.85
Cleco's Dan Landry $60.00
Air hose/rivet tape Yard $30.35
Yoke pins/unibit Cleveland $27.47
Reamers Cleveland $39.49
DRDT-2 Exp. Aero $375.00
Matco air drill Matco $117.00
Pop rivet gun (2) Menards $7.00
Air Compressor 25 gal Sears $408.49
Sold DRDT-2 Exp. Aero $300.00
Angle drill attachment HF $19.48
#19 drill bits Yard $2.70
New drill stops Yard $4.95
Speed handle Yard $4.95
Crows foot wrench set Yard $20.38
Mini files, clamps, caliper HF $39.95

old joke (just in case you haven't heard it)

the rv builder on his deathbed is being visited by another builder. the one expiring calls the other one over, clutches his shirt, and manages to croak out "whatever you do, Bob, don't let my wife sell those tools for what i told her i paid for them."

I don't know & I don't want to know, but I doubt it was over $2,500-3,000. Bought a lot of stuff used, thanks to Ebay & only got burned once & that was only for about $15. Most expensive item was a good 12.5 CFM @ 100 PSI compressor for $400 & if Craigslist had been around I would have bought a compressor for less than half that much. Pneumatic squeezer was $225 with one yoke & I have spent about $150-200 more for additional yokes. Bought some stuff on sale (clecoes from Brown Tool were a bargain on sale) & shopped around, finding that some places were good for some things & others were the best sources for other items.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Fuselage

Review this site, barnstormers, etc for people selling unfinished kits and see if they're willing to part with their tools. When I bought my partially completed -8 the previous owner threw in his tools for $1000 which included a pneumatic squeezer with 3 additional yokes, 3 air drills, rivet gun w/ various rivet sets, a couple of hand squeezers, die grinder, drill bits, clecos, shears, deburring tools, etc. Add an air compressor ($360), tool chest ($300), drill press ($160), Bench Grinder ($80) + medium scotchbrite pad ($60), and miscellaneous bits and pieces for around $100 and I'm all set at around $2,100.
Mike

I've almost finished my RV6 and have spent just under $6k on my workshop and tools over 7 years. That includes workshop bench and electrics, drill press, compressor and consumables like saw blades, drill bits, Scotchbrite pads and propane for winter heating in the garage. I started with some basic home and car tools like a battery drill, wrenches and screw drivers. Some of it I never use like that pancake device from Avery for rolling edges (?), a plexiglass edge deburrer (?) - now there are a pair of candidates for a DIY quiz show - a flush swivel set that wouldn't set flush (I now know that I should have timmed the rubber!), an air drill (noisy and dumps air at an alaming rate thus making the compressor make even more noise!) and a cheap and nasty hand squeezer that was soon replaced with a decent Avery one. I guess I'm right in the middle of the sample.

2-3K here also. started out with a RV tool kit from Ishams, which I customized for me. I splurged on a DRDT dimpler ( to keep peace in the house), and also got a squeezer. As time went on, I orderd stuff as needed. I got twice as many clecoes, 3/32, as recommended cause I did both wings at once. Now I wish I had about 100 more 1/8"s for the fuse. Not really keeping track of costs anymore. I'm building my plane, doin' what it takes :D

the rv builder on his deathbed is being visited by another builder. the one expiring calls the other one over, clutches his shirt, and manages to croak out "whatever you do, Bob, don't let my wife sell those tools for what i told her i paid for them."

That's funny! :D

Yet-Another-Tool of the Month Club

DevDad,

I started with Avery's kit and some shop equipment like a compressor, bench grinder, belt sander, drill press, table vice, etc. As the project moves along, the need for "yet another tool" will arise. I jokingly refer to it as the Yet-Another-Tool Of The Month Club. I keep Averys, AircraftSpruce, Cleaveland, and Brown catalogs handy. Borrowing tools will save a heck of a lot of money. I am building in my garage, so driving back and forth to the airport, borrowing tools, returning them promptly, then borrowing them again - time-wise and gasoline-wise, it makes sense for me in most cases to just go online and order a tool or two when I need them. It might be a splurge, but then you can say that about building an airplane. :)

Regards,