attackpilot

I recently started my RV-10 kit and would like to know how much construction logging is required?

I have Kitlog and post a few pictures, log my construction time, and give an overview of what I accomplish every time I work on the plane. Is this enough to make a DAR or inspector happy? Should I take pictures of every step that is listed in the construction manual?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe Hutchison

The purpose of the builder's log is to show that the aircraft is indeed amateur-built. The FAA may also use it to determine that YOU are the builder for the repairman's certificate, so pictures with you in them are important. There are no precise requirements for the log. The DAR wants to see a basic chronological order of building. The rest will be determined with a short interview. Believe me, the DAR can tell if you built the airplane after talking with you for about 10 minutes.

You say Tomaytoe, I say Tomaatoe

attackpilot said:
I recently started my RV-10 kit and would like to know how much construction logging is required?......Joe Hutchison
In my case, for purposes of satisfying documentation requirements needed to secure the airworthiness certificate issued by my friendly DAR and a few months later the Repairman's Certificate as initiated by the local (St. Louis, MO.) FSDO office upon a casual walk-in visit, photo albums detailing the construction process and invoices satisfied both parties without hesitation, though neither party gave the items much more than a cursory glance. That is not to say your experience will be identical. There may well be regional biases in interpreting the process. If in doubt, give your FSDO a call stating your intentions and ask what form the materials you plan to assemble would satisfy their inquiring minds.

Not much. A few pictures of each sub-assembly will be sufficinet. It's there to prove your built it. However as Mel said, he/she can tell in a couple of minutes whether you did actually build it or not.

I've completed three airplanes and never had the inspector examine my builders log. My local FSDO does the inspections around here. YMMV.

Several builders have shown me their logs that were built years ago. It was much more like looking at a family photo album than a bunch of airplane parts. They and I really enjoyed watching the project grow up just like one of their kids.

If the DAR or FSDO doesn't seem too interested, do it for yourself. 20-30 years from now you may enjoy looking back and remember when your baby grew up.

I agree with the last post. I've had three different experimental aircraft inspected by FAA inspectors, the last one was an RV4 and it was inspected by both an FAA inspector, and a DAR in training. I had my builders log ready to show them in each case. None of them ever even glanced at my builder's log. They are too busy making sure all the required and recorded paperwork is in place to look at your builder's log. Therefore, I wouldn't put too much effort into it. Just keep a notebook and record your progress with dates, a couple of times a week, and paste in prints of photos at various stages of progress on your project. This is more than sufficient.\

Kerry Peters

The simplest thing for me is writing the date and time I spent next to each step in the plans. It is a good method to use to make sure you don't miss any steps. I also keep a digital camera in my workshop and periodically take pictures. I was told the DAR that will inspect my plane is good with this method.

Ijust received my repairman cert last week. The DAR and FAA never looked at it. I believe as others that it may have some value a few years from now.

What about insurance?

If your project is insured, you may find that the insurance company would pay for the labour you used to build your project, if they had to pay out. A construction log might be worth a lot of money.