Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Several of the boys at home base are installing smoke systems. Now I'm giving it some thought, however my LEAST favorite part of cleaning up the plane is to lay on my back and degrease the belly of the aluminum mistress.

I know part of the answer comes from how much oil is used so let's assume the question is based on 2 gallons of oil.

So, after running smoke, how dirty does the belly get?

I have only used about three gallons so far (conosol 260) and I see no increase from the normal engine oil.

It depends on the rate you dispense the oil (and type of oil) into the exhaust(s).

If you keep the rate low, then all will be burnt, no residue. Get greedy, and then it will stop depositing the excess on the belly.

Best way to get "max smoke" effect is to incrementally turn it up until you get oil on the belly, and then back it off a bit.

Andy

Webb,

It gets a bit dirty, but not a ton more than normal. To be honest, it seems to wet the normal oil on the belly enough that it all comes off a little easier. Makes it all kind of a fine, misty deposit. YMMV, of course! The tailwheel is my "mixture control indicator". It gets dirty no matter what, but if it drips on the hangar floor, I need to close the valve a bit. :rolleyes:

OBTW, the smoke is worth it!! :D

Ya know, I still haven't had a JAN overnight since we talked about getting together to see your build...and now you've been flying for a couple years! Will still call if I get one, so we can have that cigar and check out your plane...if you're still game!!

That's another kind of smokin', eh!! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

The Trigger

First I built a "Tail Lift" for my -7. Then bought a roll of paper towels and some Naptha called Coleman Fuel. Takes five minutes. Easy. Just do it.

Like my pal Gunslinger Al says, "It's always great to get to pull the trigger without having to pick up the brass or dead bodies."