Blain

Well Known Member
My scrap box is filling up fast.
As it turned out I decided to add a strain relief to the run anyway. If you hadn't noticed, the first image shows a missing "B" nut. And 2 perfect flares.

Yeah - did that - I had shortened the tube on the snake bundle on the fuel pump and I left the nut and sleeve off!!.. Well, I learned to take snips and trim off just the flare. Then square up the end, reassemble and flare, only the depth of the flare lost in length.

These are the experiences that make us much better builders!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Done that

Been there, done that at least twice. I am glad you did it though, because that strain relief is one for the tips section. Thanks.

None! I call them templates, just to establish the correct length. Then I make the real one perfectly.;)

RV-8 brake lines. Instead of mounting the reservoir on the left firewall, he put it in the baggage compartment, and used a hard line to a custom machined distribution block. The stock setup uses nylaflow tubing from a tee coming out of the reservoir.

It will be interesting to see the routing of the nylaflow lines to the master cylinders. The strain relief might also trap air in the current orientation.

Last edited:
RV-8 brake lines. Instead of mounting the reservoir on the left firewall, he put it in the baggage compartment, and used a hard line to a custom machined distribution block. The stock setup uses nylaflow tubing from a tee coming out of the reservoir.

It will be interesting to see the routing of the nylaflow lines to the master cylinders. The strain relief might also trap air in the current orientation.

Good point. I think I can just rotate it 180 deg.

Routing of Nylaflow follows original design. I am going to make a short strap to tie the 4 Adel clamps together. They don't grip tight enough to keep them from squirming. Light strap across the top should solve that. More pictures in the AM.

Its cool how a design can evolve. We take the best of the best and make it even better.

A reminder in Sharpie.

And the Nylaflex lines clamped in place. Notice the strain loop is reversed per the good eye of a previous poster.

And my answer to the squirming Adels

I guess I'm missing something. What is the strain relief for in that particular spot? Is the line exposed to tension there? Why not have similar strain relief on other hard lines? I'm not being critical of Blain's work (sorry for the scope creep Blain). I've never seen this in other peoples aircraft, so I'm just curious.

I was concerned about a straight length of aluminum tubing tieing together 2 hard mounted objects. Flex, disimilar rates of expansion, etc. Might be overkill.