Glovebox

...of oil would it take to completely fill the crankcase of an O-320E2D? (give or take a quart!) I'd like to get some oil onto the camshaft before initial startup.

Obviously, I'd be draining most of it out to the dipstick full mark before engaging starter! :D

Thanks!

Tom

If you choose to do this, I suggest you pull the plugs out and crank over the engine after draining the excess oil.

Make sure no oil has gotten by the rings or valve guides, where it could cause a hydraulic lock:eek:

Yes, the chances are pretty slim, but why take a chance.

And, while you are cranking the engine minus plugs, keep going till you have oil pressure.

Be sure you dont overheat the starter.

Good luck, sounds like a first start is on the horizon:D

Oil to fill

I did this on my 0-360 once after it sat for 11 months for maintenance and upgrades, I knew exactly at the time, but seems like it was 12 quarts.
I really felt good about doing it too. I actually lifted the tail to make the oil filler spout the high point of the system. Then I removed one spark plug from each cylinder and rotated the prop a dozen times or so by hand to coat all the touching parts really well. I drained the oil right back into the quart bottles and used the oil in the next oil change.....I thought it was time well spent and highly recommend it.
ps..after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it was 12 additional quarts on top of the normal oil level.

Last edited:
Pump

Heck... just tap a oil pump into one of the galley plugs and you will see oil pressure. Turn the engine over no fuel no fire and your done. Why waste the oil and the mess? :)

Last edited:
I agree that you'll see oil pressure, but that's no guarantee that the cam lobes and lifters are going to be wetted. That's only going to happen after the crank has thrown some oil up onto the cam... and that's conceivably after a few (couple) of revolutions. I'd rather not take that chance; I want oil (and additive) on the cam and lifters before it even turns.

Otherwise, good advice about removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over to distribute the oil on the walls. Hadn't thought of that! Gonna be an oily start!

Thanks!

Tom

On advice from Lycoming, I filled my O-320 D1A full of oil for preservation since it will be quite awhile until I fly. It took 7 gallons! They advised using cheap automotive oil, which I did use. To completely fill I had to tip the engine down in front and fill thru one of the plugs near the top of the engine.

At maybe $4 per quart, or $16 per gallon for aviation oil, you may want to try something else.

If you keep it full for long, you'll notice it will leak.