I tried the search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm considering trading out a 160hp IO-320, for a IO-360 (both 180 and 200hp are being considered. My question is, have many of you made the jump, and is the effort worth the results?

I'm leaning toward the 180hp due to weight (and 200 may be a little much). I'm assuming new engine mount, new cowling, new baffles, new W&B, .. what else are the nuclear tipped details that make you think.. Why did I do this?

CC

Our leader Doug did just that on his -6 some years ago.

If you go from an (I)O-320 to an (I)O-360 parallel valve you can keep your engine mount and cowling. If you have a CS prop, you can keep that; however, if you have a FP prop, that will have to be changed, as mentioned earlier, and your prop extension will have to be replaced because the 360 has larger bolts. (Someone will suggest you just install the smaller lugs in hub off your larger engine, which I wouldn't recommend.)

You will have to change your baffles, exhaust, and carb. If you are injected, I think you have to change your nozzles, but don't really know. The rest of the accessories should just bolt up to your new engine.

Your FAB may have to be reworked but I think that might actually be a direct transfer to your new engine.

There's also the possibility to consider of souping up your IO-320.

Ported & polished flow-matched cylinders, high compression pistons, 340 stroker crankshaft kit from ECI, etc. Some folks are getting 170-180hp out of the smaller lighter engine.

Not so sure I'd do both 340 stroker with high compression though, the harmonics on the propeller might get a bit rough. The normal 8.3:1 compression in a 340 seems to do just fine.

I'm seriously considering doing the cylinder head work and 9:1 pistons on my RV-6 this winter as I'd love to have a bit more take-off and climb oomph.

I'm considering trading out a 160hp IO-320, for a IO-360 (both 180 and 200hp are being considered. My question is, have many of you made the jump, and is the effort worth the results?

I'm leaning toward the 180hp due to weight (and 200 may be a little much). I'm assuming new engine mount, new cowling, new baffles, new W&B, .. what else are the nuclear tipped details that make you think.. Why did I do this?

CC

I purchased a 360 core to rebuild 6-years ago and do that upgrade. Still have not done it.

One of the first RV'er's that I met told me that there is no substitute for cubic inches. I agree that the largest cubic inch engine recommended should be installed. It is a lot like a CS prop vs a fixed pitch. Very few that add the CS at the beginning of the project regret doing it. Most that use a fix pitch and change to a CS will say that they should have added the CS prop before the airplane flew. Very few reduce the displacement of the engine they install in their aircraft over time.

Just did it. 160 to ~190. Glad I did! Can't say I should have done it earlier as it wasn't justifiable. My $3k O-320 flew me to a lot of places over 13 yrs until finally succumbing to a case crack.

One thing I find easy with the new engine when I'm just out goofing around is pulling the power back and leaning to conserve the fuel. I burn no more now when just fun flying, and slightly less when flying formation or with a group (same speed requires less MP and slightly less fuel). I use the same Whirlwind prop I had before.

Low-time, slightly improved IO-360 with accessories - $$$

Not being slowest one in the flight... PRICELESS!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your .02.. I thought about souping up the 320, but in the end, I feel like the effort to do so, and the cost, would not be too far off of just getting the bigger engine core and working with that. I had a line on a IO-360 angle valve (200hp), but the guys at Vans didn't recommend it on an RV-4. So I'm going with the decision to get a 180hp IO-360 that needs an overhaul, and go that route this winter. I'll put some 9:1 pistons in it too, and consider the airflow/cam addition if it is affordable.

I've heard conflicting info on the cowling.. since Vans makes a 160 and 180 hp cowls..

thanks again..

My rv-4 was built with an 0-320 then upgraded to o-360 w/ fuel injection using the same cowling. They had to use a o-320 air filter kit. Not sure how this affects performance but seems to run good to me, been think of taking filter out to test. Travis

Don't go up to 360..... when you can bolt in 340!

CC

The best kept secret about engines is the IOX340 from Titan. Send in your 160hp 320 and we will send you back a torque monster 180+hp 340 that will bolt right in to your current cowling and put out 180-188hp.