Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
This comment from Loman in the memorial thread for Doug Bell Sr. got me thinking:

Loman said:
These planes are so much more than just 'things'. As I look at my aircraft taking shape , my eye falls on a long series of items that I will always associate with the people who made them, the people who thought up the mods and methods that I followed and the people who helped me fit them.
Off the top of my head I can think of more than half a dozen people who have "contributed" in one way or another to what is now my RV-6. I wonder how many will be "connected" to it in the years to come?

Van himself, of course, for the design
the original builder
the person I bought the RV from
the person who designed the tailwheel steering link
Doug Bell, who made the tailwheel fork
Beer30, who sold me the Classic Aero Seats
my local electrical guru, who helped wire up most of my panel when all I wanted to do was install a Dynon D10A and ended up with a new transponder and radio too... :p

RV connections

8 people come to mind. Actually there are more indirectly involved plus family. Wow, they add up fast.

I suppose my own personal 9A has a "normal" number, but the 12 we are completing has a crowd! There have been about 16 builders over the past two years, plus all the parents, teachers, EAA groups that have helped out, mentors, news reporters, radio and TV people, and countless well-wishers that all seem to enjoy the "process" of seeing a plane take shape. Future projects are going to involve almost entire schools--those involved in photography, journalism, art, and other courses. These are the things that nothing except homebuilding can bring to aviation--activities that inspire long before the avgas is burned.

Flying makes you a better person in many ways. So does building. There is a good article in S.A. this month about this. If you are in the building process, get kids involved in helping you. If you are flying, find someone that wants more than just a 15 minute ride, and stick with them. We are talking about the future of aviation here, not just RVs.

Bob