Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Over the years, it's been obvious that no matter what the topic, there are amazing folks on this forum, and not just one or two people. So yesterday, I was awarded aviation's biggest participation prize, the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award -- for 50 years of flying with no violations. I wonder how many others on this forum have that? I hesitate to guess... I've got 1,300 of my hours in RVs, but I know there are folks with much, much more. And just to put things in perspective, when I received the award, one of the pilots in the audience was 97 and still flying, with maybe 60,000 hours or something ridiculous. Keep on flyin' safe, y'all!
Ed W Wright 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the years, it's been obvious that no matter what the topic, there are amazing folks on this forum, and not just one or two people. So yesterday, I was awarded aviation's biggest participation prize, the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award -- for 50 years of flying with no violations. I wonder how many others on this forum have that? I hesitate to guess... I've got 1,300 of my hours in RVs, but I know there are folks with much, much more. And just to put things in perspective, when I received the award, one of the pilots in the audience is 97 and still flying, with maybe 60,000 hours or something ridiculous. Keep in flyin' safe, y'all!
Congrats!

That’s amazing! I know (knew) a small few who have earned the award.
A huge congratulations!!

Ed,
That is a singularly extraordinary accomplishment, Sir. Well done!

Fly safe, y'all!

Congratulations Ed. Yep, Got mine in 2018. Charles Taylor Master Mechanic Award (50 years as A&P) last year.
Over the years, it's been obvious that no matter what the topic, there are amazing folks on this forum, and not just one or two people. So yesterday, I was awarded aviation's biggest participation prize, the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award -- for 50 years of flying with no violations. I wonder how many others on this forum have that? I hesitate to guess... I've got 1,300 of my hours in RVs, but I know there are folks with much, much more. And just to put things in perspective, when I received the award, one of the pilots in the audience was 97 and still flying, with maybe 60,000 hours or something ridiculous. Keep on flyin' safe, y'all!View attachment 64881
Congrats Ed!

Congrts

Well, I have been flying for 48 years with no violations, but I dont expect an award. A violation should be an exception, not a badge honor. JMHO.

Congratulations, Ed!! Nice acknowledgement of your many years of flying!! Incentive to keep going!!

I guess I didn't know such a thing existed. I mean I have heard about people getting interviewed for that award, but I thought it was a local thing where the person (small Missouri town) who was telling me was interviewing people for it. They have a very active pilots' group and thought it was through that group! I think the award is great but am just amazed and honored that the World's Best Flight Instructor took me on as a student in 1972 and convinced me that, if I really wanted to learn how to fly, I needed to buy an airplane.............. 🤣 😂🤣😂 Wait...........do WHAT??? Still have that same J-3 Cub.

Then, when I stumbled onto a fast, aerobatic, low-wing, tandem taildragger homebuilt, that looked a whole lot like a P-51, I decided that was the best of the airplanes available at the time to build. It's not that I wouldn't have learned to like the Glasair TD but......side-by-side seating??? 🤪 I was born and raised tandem! When I took my first flight in October of 1997 functioning as a Test Pilot, after 6.5 years of building, I knew that I had made the right decision! 😊 And I still think so! It is the best of the breed!

Now: I have a lot of hours on both airplanes, somewhat more in the Cub but I've had her longer. My AME would always ask me if I was military with that number of hours. And the airplanes are BOTH my favorite! Low and slow with the door open (oh.....the door closes??😲 I did not know that......!:giggle:); fast and furious with the ability to do pretty decent aerobatics! Get to OSH in 5.5 hours from Denver. And flies like (I would imagine) a P-51 would fly! 😊 How can you beat that combination?? The Cub did, indeed, teach me how to fly. SuzieQ has taught me how to fly well. They are such different airplanes they both have a lot to teach! To have been honored to be flying all these years is, honestly, all the award I need. I agree with PilotJohnS, post #12.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! (Apologies to Blazing Saddles...!)

Last edited:
Fifty years is quite a milestone! So for the next challenge….a couple of months ago I was back in my home state of Minnesota at an aviation event and reconnected with the DPE who gave me my Private check ride - 49 years ago!! But far more amazing than that is that at age 90, he is STILL giving check rides!!!

That’s your next goal….. 😉