Like a bloodied bulkhead and a double dimpled hole....consider this as a builders rite of passage.

Rick Galati RV-6a "Darla"

N941WR said:
drilled into your finger during construction?

Just wondering.

Twice!

I drilled into the same finger twice! But not on the same day. Got my thumb too. I proudly show my scars when people ask if I built the plane.

Sure wish I had taken shop in high school instead of band! :eek:

Uh, yah.

No. I absolutely never drilled into the base of my thumb while drilling the bolt holes to attach the tiedown bracket. The #12 is a pretty big bit.

I don't have a good scar though because it went in right at the base where the skin's already got a line in it.

I could only get a picture after it was bandaged up.

36553176.2004_11_14_RV9_1409.jpg

Last edited:
Drilled!!

Hi Guys

I have drilled my left thumb through the nail and out the other side :eek:
I have never felt so much pain from a #40 drill ever! I have no visible scars;

Dayton

Anybody that tells you that they haven't is:
A) a Bloody Liar!
B) didn't really build the plane!

Ron
RV-9A - Finishing the Baffling...only minor cuts and bruises!

Deburr

After drilling into your finger, do not forget to debur, dimple, alodine and prime the wound to avoid corrosion.

FOD

H-M-M-M No, not even close

I was kind of scared of the little sharp spinning shaft at the pointy end of the drill motor so it was not difficult remain sensitive to that danger. I built very slowly (8 years) and tried to think through everything very carefully to avoid any mistakes because I knew I was only going to do this once and I wanted to be sure I would be physically able to fly it some day. Even used safety glasses, hearing protection, boxes of rubber gloves and special tools where needed. Still, I made mistakes after the preflight construction was done that cost me greatly - not torquing down an oil line fitting (torque paint is a cheap accounting tool that can save a lot of money here) and caused some pain - trying to smooth down stainless steel tape by sliding my fingers along the edge.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ