blueflyer

Well Known Member
I admit, I am confused by the D100 literature. I have posted this question on the Dynon board, but I am confident someone here knows the answer too. So here goes.

Basically, my question is, how many needles can the D100 HSI actively display at the same time. Is it 1 needle, 2 needles, or 3 needles, or some variation??

Below is my attempt at an "example approach" to the above question.

I am leaning towards a Dynon D100 with an HS 34 connected via DSAB to D120. I am planning to buy 2 Val Nav 2000 radios (both with VOR/LOC/GS) and one 155XL IFR GPS. With that set-up in mind, can the D100 HSI do the following:

1) Can the D100 HSI display 2 VOR or LOC needles (from both Val Nav units) and a GPS needle (from the 155XL) at the same time.........or just one other VOR/LOC needle with the GPS needle.......or no VOR/LOC needle display when the GPS needle is active?

2) Can the HSI display a VOR/LOC needle (from one Val Nav) and ILS needles (from the other Val Nav) at the same time?

I am confused....and not looking forward to wiring all this up....

The D100 has one main HSI/CDI needle and 2 RMI pointers but depending on your setup, you may or may not be able to use em all.

The D100 alone only has one serial port for connecting to radio's or GPS's so your limited by that fact. There are some ways to add switches to be able to select different sources but this can be tricky due to different protocols and baud rates and whether or not the autodetect feature will work properly when you flip the switch.

Exception is the SL30 because it can send both active and standby NAV data over the single serial port. The NAV overlay of the EHSI page in the D100 is optimized for using with the SL30.

When you add the HS34, you can have many more choices and pick which one drives what needle on the D100. Basically you can set any valid source to any of the three needles in various combinations on the fly. Since the HS34 has two serial ports you can interface with one more serial device with it. It also has the ARINC 429 interface so this adds another source if you have an ARINC 429 capable source.

You will need to check with Dynon on the compatibility of the Val Nav 2000 units. I am not sure that they will talk to the D100 system.

Keep in mind that while the HS34 does have an analog interface, Dynon dropped support of it many years ago.

Here is typical of what you get with one SL30 connected to the D100 with the NAV overlay:

s3zw1w.png

Here is a typical of what you get with a GPS connected to the D100 with the GPS overlay:

2ry4lmx.png

Add the HS34 and you can control what drives the needles independently and on the fly like in these pics ripped from Dynon's forum:

2cneef7.jpg

307wwtx.jpg

Last edited:
OK, forget the Val stuff. So, just for my pea brain, I want to use all the needles. In order to that, with the most straightforward wiring, I would need to use an SL-30 using the D100 wire, and a GPS using the remaining HS 34 wire that outputs in NMEA-0183. If I had an ARINC capable source, I could also tie that into the HS34 along with the SL-30 and the GPS. Do I have that right?

Still kinda fuzzy on what devices function with ARINC, so I'll do some more studying on that. Thanks for the thorough response.

Last edited:
Give Sales or Tech Support at Dynon a call. They are usually pretty helpful. They have answered a lot of my questions.

OK, forget the Val stuff. So, just for my pea brain, I want to use all the needles. In order to that, with the most straightforward wiring, I would need to use an SL-30 using the D100 wire, and a GPS using the remaining HS 34 wire that outputs in NMEA-0183. If I had an ARINC capable source, I could also tie that into the HS34 along with the SL-30 and the GPS. Do I have that right?

Still kinda fuzzy on what devices function with ARINC, so I'll do some more studying on that. Thanks for the thorough response.

When you add an HS34 to the Legacy D?? system, you must connect all navigation sources to it. It has two serial ports and an ARINC-429 interface. (It has more interfaces but forget about those in this discussion)

(with an HS34) If you connect an SL-30 to one serial port and a NMEA GPS to the other one, you will be able to use all three needles and pick which source is driving what needle.
In this case you would have three sources:

1. SL30 Active
  2. SL30 Standby (when in monitor mode)
  3. NMEA GPS

For the purposes of this discussion, typically only the panel mounted TSO'd GPS's have ARINC-429 interfaces.
If you have one, you can also connect it to the HS34 and have another source (or two depending on what box you have) to select from.

The SL30 is like getting 2 nav radio's in one box and it only consumes one serial port on the HS34.

It really is a nice setup because you can do some neat stuff like this all at the same time:

Have the main HSI/CDI set to the SL30 Active on a LOC
Have one of the RMI needles set to the SL30 Standby on a VOR and use it to identify step down or other cross fixes that are VOR based
Have second RMI needle set to a GPS waypoint like a NDB and use it to id crossing the fix

Obviously if you want to use the GPS for a legal method of identifying fixes or other navigation on real approaches, it needs to be a TSO'd (which TSO depends on several factors) unit and must be connected to the HS34 via the ARINC interface (NMEA does not meet the requirements for this purpose).

Last edited:
3 indications?

Interesting.
Brian, I have a 430W and an SL-30 with the HS-34 to my D-100. I usually navigate with the 430W and the yellow needle is driven by the SL-30. Are you saying that I can view a third pointer at the same time? If so, how?

Best,

Interesting.
Brian, I have a 430W and an SL-30 with the HS-34 to my D-100. I usually navigate with the 430W and the yellow needle is driven by the SL-30. Are you saying that I can view a third pointer at the same time? If so, how?

Best,

Yes Pierre,

If you have everything properly configured you should have 4 sources available:

1. SL30 Primary
  2. SL30 Standby (when Monitor mode is active)
  3. 430W GPS
  4. 430W NAV

With the HS34, the BRG SRC button is what configures the source for the two RMI pointers.

One is a Yellow Diamond
Two is an Orange Circle

Press the BRG SRC button once and it will highlight BRG SRC ONE and if you turn the VALUE knob it will cycle thru the available options.

Press the BRG SRC button again within 5 seconds, it will move down and highlight BRG SRC TWO and if you turn the VALUE knob it will cycle thru the available options.

Hope this helps! The memory is getting foggy on this stuff since I have switched to the G3X system....

Last edited:
Thank you

Brian
crystal clear. Thank you.

When you add an HS34 to the Legacy D?? system, you must connect all navigation sources to it. It has two serial ports and an ARINC-429 interface. (It has more interfaces but forget about those in this discussion)

(with an HS34) If you connect an SL-30 to one serial port and a NMEA GPS to the other one, you will be able to use all three needles and pick which source is driving what needle.
In this case you would have three sources:

1. SL30 Active
  2. SL30 Standby (when in monitor mode)
  3. NMEA GPS

For the purposes of this discussion, typically only the panel mounted TSO'd GPS's have ARINC-429 interfaces.
If you have one, you can also connect it to the HS34 and have another source to select from.

The SL30 is like getting 2 nav radio's in one box and it only consumes one serial port on the HS34.

It really is a nice setup because you can do some neat stuff like this all at the same time:

Have the main HSI/CDI set to the SL30 Active on a LOC
Have one of the RMI needles set to the SL30 Standby on a VOR and use it to identify step down or other cross fixes that are VOR based
Have second RMI needle set to a GPS waypoint like a NDB and use it to id crossing the fix

Obviously if you want to use the GPS for a legal method of identifying fixes or other navigation on real approaches, it needs to be a TSO'd (which TSO depends on several factors) unit and must be connected to the HS34 via the ARINC interface (NMEA does not meet the requirements for this purpose).