pilot28906

Well Known Member
Building a 7, basic day/night VFR, fixed pitch prop, simple interior, and probably no paint for a while.

Question: How many build hours does it normally take after flipping the "canoe"?

Thanks

I worked pretty steady on mine, working 3-4 evenings a week and usually getting at least 1 good day each weekend.....

I did not "flip" the canoe, as I used a QB, but if it helps, my Quick build kit arrived in August of 2009, and my first flight was in June of 2012.... there is a lot of systems work to do even on a simple plane.

I flipped the canoe after about 1.5 years total. Took me 7 overall to finish. Put differently, 1000 hours to flip, 2300+ overall to finish to same stage you're talking about. :eek:

Unfortunately, the question you're asking is very similar to asking how long does it take to run a marathon. For the winner, the answer is pretty predictable. But for the rest of runners, they are typically scattered hours later. The same is true with building a RV.

I found that it's best not even to think about hours left. In my case, Van's states that the RV-10 should take about 2,200 hours. I spent an additional thousand hours on mine and just over six years. Some reasons for my variances are:

• First time builder
  • Laid of in the middle of the build. Extended duration, but didn't add hours
  • Quite a few modifications or deviations from the plans
  • Significant differences in the panel and interior
  • When about all I had left was the fiberglass, I procrastinated until it was too cold to do it. I lost six months, but it didn't require additional hours.
  • Two surgical procedures during the build.
That also is where the saying, 95% done, 95% left to go comes from. You'll find as you get closer to completion, you'll find things to do that aren't in the plans and you didn't think about them earlier.

Good luck and enjoy your build! I know I did.

Bob

I flipped the canoe after about 1.5 years total. Took me 7 overall to finish. Put differently, 1000 hours to flip, 2300+ overall to finish to same stage you're talking about. :eek:

Ditto.
I had the airframe mostly complete and canopy partially complete in 2 1/2 years. I spent 3 1/2 years on finishing the canopy/small items while saving $$ and taking care of kiddo #2. Bought an engine and spent the next 1 1/2 years saving and working on the cowling and wheelpants. The next 1 1/2 years I hit it hard 20-25 hours a week average (doesn't sound like hitting it hard but working full time, 2 kiddos under 5 and a wife in school) to install wiring/panel/FWF/final assembly. I flew 1 month shy of 9 years after receiving the tail kit just after the birth of kiddo #3 (Whew, probably another 3 1/2 years before I can build another!). I stopped tracking official build hours but I'm in the neighborhood of 3000-3500. My next build would be close to the low 2000 hours because I wouldn't be scratching my head so much.
Best of luck, the journey is part of the destination.

Benchmarking it against your rate of progress, figure on being somewhere in the vicinity of being 1/2 done (very dependant on choices you make for installed equipment, etc.)

another data point

As others have said, it all depends. I did like the before/after comparison so...

I was a first time builder with simple day/night VFR Dynon SV plane. I did a vertical induction IO320 which added some time. Excluding paint I had 1200 to roll canoe and 1400 after to DAR inspection.

Small bites....

I recall an estimate rule of thumb that seemed pretty accurate:

1/3 airframe
1/3 systems
1/3 finishing

To quote the Vans guys regarding the canopy build issues alone: "consider it a right of passage":D

For mine

RV standard build
1000 hrs in the first year took me from SB to approximate equivalent of quickbuild starting construction state.

2000 more hrs over the next 6 years.
No builder assistance in panel or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. That is about what I thought. Got to keep driving those rivets; I'll have a plane at some point!:D