Michael Henning

Well Known Member
I will be flying soon and am doing the best job that I can to ensure that I have no issues. I am curious how many people have had no fuel/cooling/rough engine problems throughout their test phase. I am building a "standard" airplane (IO-360, C/S Whirlwind, Bendix FI) and have not deviated from standard practices. Thanks.

My sense (and my experience) is that most first flights go pretty well. Sure, there may be some issues optimizing certain things (cooling, for instance), but I think real problems are few and far between.

For example, my first flight oil temperatures of 225 were higher than I wanted, but no threat to flight safety, so I flew my test card and worked to address the cooling issue once I landed.

A suggestion would be to find yourself a flight advisor to help you with your planning for your first flight. That's probably the most efficient and effective way to think your way through the process.

Mike, many first flight problems can be eliminated on the ground by going through full power runs on each tank for a minute or more, to ensure enough flow is there.

If you have a "glass" engine monitor, you can easily keep oil and CHT within limits during these runs. We had to tie our tail to the hangar because the brakes wouldn't hold full power runs.

Best,

As I understand it ...

As I understand it you want people to post if they had no problems when they first started flying their airplane. I do not fall into that fortunate group. But I think you could get better feedback if you constructed some kind of poll or identified the various systems or elements and asked for "yes" or "no" problem inputs for all of them from the responders. Just a couple of categories I had at the ready for first flight milestone:

Fuel plumbing error (four tanks, independent tip and main on the left wing were reversed inside the cockpit - not caught until a later flight when the capacity of the tip tank was consumed while thinking I was on the larger main tank)

New engine timing (LASAR) from Lycoming off by ~65 degrees (continued to fly additional flights barely able to keep it in the air and the EGT off the max peg and the problem was not resolved until I bought a LASAR timing box and corrected the timing)

Bob Axsom

P.S. NO ONE has ever flown our airplane but me and it flies like an airplane with no surprises - over 850 hours now.

Last edited:
Most all of us will have "issues". I know what worried me the most was fearing that something unexpected was going to happen that would result in an emergency situation. I hired a test pilot to do my first flight as I knew that I was not qualified. I figured that if something were to go wrong, the pro would be far, far more likely to get the plane and himself back in one piece than if I were doing the flying. Yes, I did take transition training, but it prepares you for flying a known good airplane, not exactly a brand new, one-of-a-kind airplane that could have rigging problems or an engine that will explode soon after takeoff!

But, for my plane, the only first-flight issue was the CHTs were a little high, especially on cylinder 1. Part of that was simply the engine was new and, over time, and after adjusting the air flow restricter baffle, temperatures came down.

I later had a minor issue with the #4 EGT sensor. It scared me when the Dynon announced an EGT warning and I looked down and saw the red indication, but then saw the temp bouncing all over the place but with the CHT normal, so I quickly figured out the sensor was bad or the wiring connection was flaky. On the ground, I re-mated the connector and the problem went away (though it recurred briefly 35 hours later).

I had mag drop issues and that caused a lot of worry and several aborted flights, but it never resulted in any in-flight issues and I think my engine is simply susceptible to spark plug fouling, even though I lean aggressively on the ground. I originally had a mixed Emag/mag, but have gone to a dual Emag system and like it better.

Once flying with maybe 10 hours time the engine seemed to lose just a little bit of power. I took the lower cowl off and I noticed the alternate air door on my air filter assembly was gone! I never connected it up to a cable, and I had the door screwed shut but, over time, the rivets vibrated loose in the fiberglass and the whole aluminum assembly simply departed the airplane. I made two aluminum disks and both riveted and JB-Welded them to both top and bottom surfaces of the air filter box as a fix. Well, some hours later, I was flying and the engine seemed to miss a beat - just for a fraction of a second, then all seemed normal, but the power was a tad bit less. I again removed the lower cowl for a look and saw that some of the rivets vibrated out and those disks came loose. I was lucky a rivet wasn't sucked up into the engine! I then fiberglassed the opening over, which is what I should have done in the first place. But, I am concerned about rivets coming loose in the air box, and all of you should have a layer of cloth on the top side of the rivets to ensure none get sucked up in case they vibrate loose. In my case, several rivets seemed to split in two. I used JB Weld on the top heads which held all but one rivet in place, and I was very lucky that one rivet fell down and out rather then getting sucked into my engine where I would have had an emergency!

I have continually been concerned about high levels of vibration. Having my prop balanced helped quite a bit, but I think it is just something you have to get used to. Some carpeting on the floor helps avoid getting that numb feeling in your feet.

But, I had had no major moments that we all fear - severe out-of-trim that leaves the airplane barely flyable, or engine failure, or any issue where I felt I had to land immediately.

My advice is to get an experienced RV pilot to make the first flight or two. I also would advise you go up with him for a checkout flight after he has flown an pronounced the plane safe to fly. Some might say this is a rules violation, but it is the safe thing to do.

While a Van's aircraft built strictly to plans will nearly always fly well and engines rarely fail if they were connected up properly, we have to accept that the first 10 hours, in particular, present added risk. It is good you are thinking about things that can go wrong and doing all you can now, safely on the ground, to prevent them.

Have test flown 4. Only one of these flew off the test phase with zero issues. One had a main fuel pump issues, one an ignition issue, two (both -360 Lyc powered) had temp issues.

First Flight

No problems.
Following excellent transition training in Okeechobee, I did the following for first flight:
-Chose a clear, no wind morning.
-Had one helper on the ground-no fanfare, no hype, no hurry.
-No traffic at airport
-Took off and immediately turned to downwind
-CHT's a bit high but within tolerance
-Climb to 3,000' and checked engine gauges and confirmed straight/level.
-Landed.
-Not a single squawk.
-Best advice: don't feel rushed. Take a walk or two around the plane, get in and go!

Jim Diehl N891DD

The fact is, most first flights go pretty smooth - you can get that just from reading all the reports here on VAF - so long as the airplane is built very "standard", you make no changes, and use good techniques and practices. Lots of extra eyes and hands on the airplane before flight to look for minor deviations also helps - because it is sometimes hard to know what actually IS a deviation. The devil is in the details.

Most "problems" with a kit built to plans turn out to be indication issues, and you want to be prepared to quickly notice, identify, and evaluate them....and in most cases, you'll then ignore them once you determine that it is truly an indication only.

Get a good, local Flight Adviser to help evaluate your specific situation, and you will put all the odds in your favor.

Paul

First Flight Issues

Most first flight issues should be identified and resolved during the preflight planning and work up phase. Fuel issues were my main concern - I did several high power runs (no high speed taxi tests above lift off speed) lasting a minute or so to generate a confidence level that some kind of debris gremlin was going to interfer with fuel to the engine. I did medium speed taxi with heavy braking to break in the brakes, double checked control limits and control attach hardware, was well aware of my forward CG, applied the KISS principle to first flight maneuvers, got an airspeed cross check from my chase before doing slow flight, maneuvered at 10 kts below planned landing speed but didn't do approaches to stall, did not do touch and go's, stayed within gliding distance to the airport, reviewed all emergency procedures, thoroughly briefed ground and chase crew - and had at it.

Was most surprised how quickly I became airborne - and how nice it handled (-8A). An uforgetable experience.

I'm a former Navy pilot and weapons test pilot so I developed a very detailed test phase plan, with careful attention to first flight. Send me an email if you want it, along with my POH.