Walt

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a current reliable source for the actual number of experimental aircraft flying, not just RV's. Anybody have this handy?

That info may be in the AOPA Nall report. In the 2009 report, see figure 50 which lists 23,197 non-commercial and 167 commercial.

My guess is that those numbers include Jay's aircraft.

I'm looking for a current reliable source for the actual number of experimental aircraft flying, not just RV's. Anybody have this handy?
USA only, or world wide?

By "experimental aircraft", do you mean anything with an experimental airworthiness certificate (which includes R&D, prototypes, crew training, exhibition, air racing, amateur-built, etc), or do you just want amateur-bult aircraft numbers?

The US FAA database lists 32,726 E-AB registered (database pulled 2/16). I'd think that number goes down after the first round of the new registration gets moving and they remove the inactives off the list.

Thanks for all the replies, that will cover everything I need.

BTW, I am using this info to help "educate" my local FSDO inspector (names withheld to protect the guilty) that honestly believes we are just a bunch of crack-pots building flying bicycles in our basement. His "opinion" is that if want to fly we should buy "real airplanes" :cool:

Thanks for all the replies, that will cover everything I need.

BTW, I am using this info to help "educate" my local FSDO inspector (names withheld to protect the guilty) that honestly believes we are just a bunch of crack-pots building flying bicycles in our basement. His "opinion" is that if want to fly we should buy "real airplanes" :cool:

We have a retired FSDO inspector in our family and he wasn't too thrilled at the thought of his niece flying in something her husband built. Then when he saw the RV for the first time and I pulled the top cowl off for him to take a closer look, he was stunned that it was a real airplane, with a real airplane engine in it.

He was surprised to see AN fittings, hardware, etc. and that I took the time to bend over the tails of the safety wire so you wouldn't poke your hand.

I suggest you get some of the better E-AB examples (include non-RV's) from your local EAA chapter together and invite the FSDO staff out to take a look and educate them on the modern E-AB movement. Highlight the non-standard stuff such as EFIS displays and electronic ignitions.

When it was time to get my Letter of Concurrence for the new engine, I invited the FSDO out to look over the plane. There were a bunch of new inspectors that had just started at the CLT FSDO and I thought it would be good for them to go over an E-AB when there was no pressure to issue or deny a pink slip. Unfortunately only one guy showed up but he was impressed that it was a real plane. With luck he went back and told the rest of the FSDO staff a good story.

I've met plenty of Feds and high-time pilots who were naively ignorant of the sophistication and performance of experimental (ab) aircraft. But I see a good side to this ignorance. With more Feds knowing how prevalent experimentals actually are, I can see where there'd be increased pressure on the Administrator to step up government oversight. It's the natural evolution of authoritarian government.