N434TM

Well Known Member
So, I am working on a bit of a project and need some help with some basic data.

I am looking for a source I can quote regarding experimental aircraft in the U.S. I would like as much info as I can get regarding:
  1. How many Experimental and Certified
  2. What types
  3. Demographics of owners if possible
  4. Price/Value ranges
  5. Prefer data that goes back a few years, even 10 if possible.
Anybody want to point me to a good source of info?

Thanks
Tom

Pandora's Box

For a project of that scope, you might want to start by defining your terms.

There are Standard Airworthiness Certificated aircraft in the following categories:
Normal, Utility, Acrobatic, Commuter, Transport, Manned Free Balloons, and Special Classes.

And there are Special Airworthiness Certificated aircraft, one category of which is Experimental, issued for the following uses:
Research and Development, Show compliance with regulations, Crew Training, Exhibition, Air Racing, Market Surveys, Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft, Operating Light Sport Aircraft, and Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Whew, who knew?:eek: I suspect that Mel will jump in here and straighten my, er, ahem, "butt" out any minute now.:rolleyes:

I suspect you are asking about Experimental, Amateur Built (EAB), vs Standard, Normal Category.

Your friendly FAA is the most likely repository of the data you are looking for.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/

Tom,

Check out the GAMA website - they have some useful data available on both the US and international GA aircraft fleets including experimental category estimates, broken down into E-AB, Display and "Other"

FWIW, search for a post on the RVator Hobbs meter and you'll find a graph that I created showing where RV's stood -vs- the fleet estimate. I was looking for the data for a business plan - hopefully not for the same purpose as you! :D Am happy to collaborate if we're not competing!

RVator Hobbs thread here

For a project of that scope, you might want to start by defining your terms.

And there are Special Airworthiness Certificated aircraft, one category of which is Experimental, issued for the following uses:
Research and Development, Show compliance with regulations, Crew Training, Exhibition, Air Racing, Market Surveys, Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft, Operating Light Sport Aircraft, and Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Whew, who knew?:eek: I suspect that Mel will jump in here and straighten my, er, ahem, "butt" out any minute now.:rolleyes:

I suspect you are asking about Experimental, Amateur Built (EAB), vs Standard, Normal Category.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/

You pretty much got it!