GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
I took a few pics at Sun n Fun 2010 and noticed that the sign on the tent/booth stated "7005 Flying". Just went to Van's site to order some parts and saw the Hobbs meter at "6713".

What gives.....Maybe the 7005 flying is not an "official" number.

Thoughts anyone?

httpu8.jpg

Sorry for the larger photo but wanted readers to see the banner on the tent.

I took a few pics at Sun n Fun 2010 and noticed that the sign on the tent/booth stated "7005 Flying". Just went to Van's site to order some parts and saw the Hobbs meter at "6713".

What gives.....Maybe the 7005 flying is not an "official" number.

Thoughts anyone?

Sorry for the larger photo but wanted readers to see the banner on the tent.

Whatever number is posted, it just reflects the reported first flights to Vans so is just an estimate. There are many cases where RV's take flight and it is never reported to the company. The posted number wouldn't account for aircraft retired from the fleet, either.

Maybe the website hasn't been updated in a while?

Last edited:
Interesting. I've been waiting for the magic 7,000 number to tick over. Why? Because, when I made my first flight in March 2004, I was #3500 (plus/ minus a few.) In other words, 3500 RVs were built and flown in the first 31 years, and another 3500 in the following 6 years and change. Talk about exponential growth!

Van's Web Site

is notoriously 'late'. Check out the 'What's New' section and you'll find stuff that is at least 4-5 years old. They are busy making kits and answering our questions. I believe the note on the tent!:cool:

Gus broke down the numbers at the Van's SnF banquet on Wednesday night. Sam B has it right, the numbers Vans reports are what they know of, and a number of builders never let them know of first flights.

In any event, having a success rate higher than all other kit manufacturers combined is a feat that will not be matched for a very long time.

I never told them about mine but I know some of them kinow about it. Whether they counted it or not I don't know.

Todd, why don't you just go tell them.....

Stand up and be counted..... besides, many of us would like to hear your first flight story.:)

To be accurate, you would have to subtract all the planes that have been destroyed.
Why? The Hobbs Meter on the website lists the number as "completed RVs." The fact that something happens to an airplane after it's first flight does not take away the fact that it did make it's first flight.

According to Cessna, they have built over 43,000 172s. Should they subtract from that number the ones that have been destroyed or otherwise removed from service?