How about flying 9s

How about who has the highest slow build S/N flying 9?

S/N 90869 first flight 09/12/2005

So it looks like Vans sells kits about 7 time faster then they are completed.
My number is 90322 and I am almost ready to fly.
I was thinking that as long as I fly before 322 are flying that my build time would be below average. I have been at this over five years.

I can't wait.

Kent

Completion time

kentb said:
My number is 90322 and I am almost ready to fly.
I was thinking that as long as I fly before 322 are flying that my build time would be below average. I have been at this over five years.
That's an interesting way to look at it - makes sense. I was trying to finish mine before anyone with a higher number than me finished - didn't make it! I like your method much better. At the rate RV8s are being completed, I won't need to finish mine until about 2018. :)

rv8ch said:
At the rate RV8s are being completed, I won't need to finish mine until about 2018. :)

Or ever. I think that the rate of completion is quite skewed to the left with a long tail to the right, kinda:

With a fair percentage of of the kits _never_ being completed (judging from chats with a few local EAA 'builders' ;-))

How many RV-9/9A's...

My RV-9A is 90622, began in October 2002, completed and flown in June 2005. When I drove my car to OSH in 2004, I met Ron Drake with #90400 flying and on display at the Flying Magazine booth. Both of us were at OSH parked in Homebuilt Camping for 2005.

My airplane was number 155 on the Van's Hobb's meter when it flew on June 9, 2005. With 209 RV-9/9A's on the meter today, I want to see how many have flown when June 9, 2006 rolls around.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
172.7 hours on my Hobbs meter.
www.n2prise.org

What I really want to know is how many -9's are flying, not -9A's.

That said, my slow build -9, SN 90737, is now in it's 3rd year of construction.

With luck it will be flying before another year is up. (Currently working on the canopy.)

How do we know?

Yukon said:
I heard only 20 kits have been sold, 5 flying.

John

So that make 1 in 4 completed. Are tail dragger builders more deticated the nose dragger builder? With the -9 and -9A sharing the same build number sequences I think that it would be hard to tell how many had been built or sold, unless someone at Vans is tracking this and would give us a report.

There are a number of builder out there that don't post what they are doing.

Kent

N659db

My -9 will be finished by the end of summer......definately. It is S/N 90438. I started it in October of 2001 with one year off for home construction.
Bruce Sacks
Georgia

Highest Number

My empannage arrived today (5/26/06) - #91398

No deadline set for anything - just gonna build as money permits.

Yukon said:

John

I think I've seen more than 5 flying tailwheel 9's in just in the past year or two of RVator and/or Sport Aviation alone. I highly doubt the numbers are anywhere near this low. Off the top of my head... there's a guy in VA or NC who has been flying for a couple years. 2 in Montana I think, Roger Ping in AZ, 1 somewhere in Idaho, and 1 up in Lethbridge or Calgary, Alberta. That makes 6 right there. I've got pictures of two or three others from elsewhere with paint schemes that I've thought looked nice. I'm sure there are many more out there than just what I can casually count off the top of my head. Regardless, no worries. There will be a bunch of us in the next couple years.

Last edited:
Yukon said:

John
Those might be older numbers.

Last year when I asked Van's how many -9's they have sold they told me around 20. They also went on to say they have no idea if the plane will be a -9 or -9A until the fuselage is ordered. Thus, many -9 builders aren't officially a -9 builder, in Van's eyes, until then.

As for the -9's showing up in the various publications, I have realized that a number of -9A builders just refer to their planes as -9's. Bummer because I would have though more people would build the -9 and so did Van's. In fact, Van's once told me developing the -9 was a complete waste of time and money based on how few they have sold.

Flying RV9s

Here's a quick list off my home computer... I have more at my work computer:

#1. Braun-NH-N9017E

#2. Donham-TX-N9TD

#3. Kerr-UT-N927BJ

#4. Ping-AZ-N869RV

continued next post...

Last edited:
and more...

continued from previous

#5. Hardison-NC-N512JH

#6. Troy Branch- Alberta-CFTJE

#7. Tom Welch-MT-N475TW
Don't have a picture of it, but it was pictured in the Sep 2005 issue of Sport Aviation.

Of course you could add Van's RV9 to this list to make #8 but, again, this is just a quick list of those on my home computer. I'm pretty sure I've got a few more on my work computer, and I don't even work that hard at keeping track of them.

Anybody else have pics handy?

Last edited:
More Flying RV-9's

Here are a few more.

First, as mentioned, is N179RV...Van's:

Next, as mentioned, is N475TW...Tom Welch. Same paint scheme as Van's, different canopy & NSI engine/prop:

Next, here is a wider view of N512JH (already pictured in the previous post)...Jay Hardison:

Three more RV-9's in the next post...

DJV

Last edited:
Soon to be flying 9

How cool is building a plane! The last few days at the hangar have involved installing the panel and checking the electrical circuits. All the time laying on my back with my legs, arms, and neck contorted while under the panel is worth it when I flip the switch and see something happen like flaps or strobes. When I think about how long it has been since I installed fuse and wing wires and to finally be able to power things up is really a thrill. Having everything work on the first try is even more satisfying. Sitting in the plane listening to AWOS and the XM radio is neat-o. First engine run is around the corner.
BTW thanks for posting the -9 pictures. It is a beautiful plane with its own distingished look which sets it apart from the others. Can't wait to fly it.

Bruce Sacks
N659DB
PXE

Wow! It is so weird to read posts you made years ago.
Here is a picture of Catalina. She now has 211 hrs. Building this plane ranks among the top 5 things I have ever done in my life.

snfarrivalxw0.jpg

RV-9

My RV-9 TW kit #91201 was started in July 2005. I expect to complete it this year.

Ken K
Greendale Wi.

The way an RV-9 was designed to look

Don't forget this one. The original RV-9 and the reason I often call my plane an RV-9, guilt free. As for the highest serial number, I lose with 90008. :(

rv9aj6.jpg

My 9A was started in Jan. 2006. Two years later, and I have 1,300 hour of build time. The Empennage, Wings and Fuse are mostly done. Just started working on the canopy. I hope to complete by Summer of 2009.

S/N 91335

My empennage is complete, wing kit should arrive in about 3 weeks, tail kit was ordered in December of '07, builder number 91691.

RV-9

Hi Group
My # is 91683 so I guess that means 1683 kits or does that include 9A also. I just ordered the Empennage for the 9 so far. Got it in Jan.
Dave

# 91444

My builder number is 91444, it will be a 9A. Empennage was ordered 8/26/2006. Empennage, wings and fuselage are pretty much done. Started working on the slider canopy over the weekend. Got a feeling it will take a little time.

Hi Group
My # is 91683 so I guess that means 1683 kits or does that include 9A also. I just ordered the Empennage for the 9 so far. Got it in Jan.
Dave

Dave, the numbers include both models.

My kit, 91490, was ordered in December, 2006...

Using airguy's data and mine, it looks like about 200 were sold in a year (12/2006 through 12/2007), more or less.

Tally ho...

RV9A

My kit #90602. Took 5 years for the slow build and first flew Sept 2007. I have 112 hours and just got it back from the paint shop in Brady.

Joe Ramotowski
N358JR
RV9A