UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I'm back with yet another question...

I'm finishing up the empennage and recently ordered a QB kit for the wings and fuselage. What I'm not real clear on is how much work in involved with the QB fuselage until I will need the finish kit.

I realize that everyone progresses on a different schedule, but I'm just looking for a rough idea as to the number of hours of work you spent with the QB fuselage before you needed components from the finish kit.

If there aren?t a ton of hours before the finish kit is needed, I may just go ahead and order it to ship with my QB kit?.. if there are a ton of hours, I?ll hold off and order it when needed.

Thanks,
Jason

Hey - I'm back with yet another question...

If there aren’t a ton of hours before the finish kit is needed, I may just go ahead and order it to ship with my QB kit….. if there are a ton of hours, I’ll hold off and order it when needed.

Thanks,
Jason

Order it Jason as soon as possible. If money is not the issue, ship it together with QB. You will need parts and plans right away.

Another Opinion

I held off as long as possible, thinking I may get upgrades and revisions I may miss out on otherwise. Ended up I did in the form of an upgraded nose gear. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

Finish kit and firewall forward kit together

Just a thought, I recently received my finish kit and sure wish I had ordered the firewall kit at the same time. There are a lot of things I could be doing to the firewall if I had the parts. You will want to install the items on the firewall like solenoids, heater box, and the battery box before you bolt the engine mount on.

Do you have an idea what engine you want to use?

To order the finishing kit you will need to have some idea of what engine you intend to use. If you do then Jim is correct in that you can order the firewall forward kit and get some components on before you go put your engine mount on. I'm at that stage myself. It is much easier to install those components before the engine mount. Some items Jim didn't list was the 3 port manifold that holds the pressure transducers, the gascolator and gascolator reinforcement bracket. In fact I started applying some of electrical components other than the solenoids on as well - groundblock, current limiter base. I am trading help with another 9A builder and he made the suggestion to me get those particular firewall forward items ahead of time but they are generic to what engine you use.

Avoid the yearly price increases. If you got the money and space I say buy it now as well as the firewall forward kit.

I knew early on what engine and prop I was going to use, so I ordered the QB kit (wings and fuselage) and included the appropriate finish and FWF kits at the same time. It really helped speed the building process by having everything there. I was able to install some things before the canoe got too closed up, making it easier. Another plus about having everything is I was able to putz around with nobrainer items when I got slowed down by problem items. It really makes planning and organizing the building process easier so you don't have workarounds because of missing components.

JMHO,

Roberta