copterdoc

Hi guys! I'm short on time but have a question. How long does it take man hours wise to build the fuse up to QB stage. I'm thinking of going into partnership and they aren't builders as much as I am. I'm building wings now. Seems to me for the price of a QB fuse. and shipping I could buy a Garmin 430! Looking for opinions here! Thanks!

Ballpark guess... I'm not quite to quickbuild stage yet, but I've spent probably 200-220 hours... another 50-75 and I'll probably be there. From most builders websites that I've seen, if the total time is 1500-1700 hours, the entire fuselage seems to be getting "done" in around 550-600 hours, but obviously a LOT depends on the individual builder and what "done" actually means. As I commented on an earlier thread, the fuselage is a lot more fun than the wings. If time is not too critical I'd go slowbuild.

Also, see what the QB lead time is from Van's right now. 200 hours is about 3-4 months for me--probably pretty close to how long it would take to get a QB from Van's, although I know he did actually have some in stock recently.

Build time...

It took me 213 hours (including priming all interior surfaces) to get the fuselage into the canoe stage (out of the jig and onto saw horses). This is not quite the quick build stage, I believe (never seen a quick build 8A, however). My hours logged as build time do not include reading manual/plans, just drilling holes and such. Hope this is helpful.