carrollcw

Well Known Member
So, I am about to bend the trailing edge of the elevator on my -7. The elevator is approx 3.5 feet, so I need a 4 foot brake to bend them. However, will I need the brake for anything else? If so, will I need the brake to be greater than 4 feet?

Ailerons are 52" long--you'll need it for them. However, with the quality of today's lumber, if your don't screw it, clamp it, and set a building on it--it'll be so warped by the time you get to the ailerons, you'll want to make a new one anyway. :)

My $.02--worth what you paid.

Since you've got QB ailerons, I can't think of anything else you'll need it for but the elevators Clark - I seem to recall just cutting an 8' 2x8 in half when I did that years ago.

I used a joiner to true things up and used the 1 1/2" edge for the bending face. Worked for me.

Amen to that! using the 1-1/2" edge gives the brake a LOT of rigidity along it's length; that's why floor and ceiling joists (and spars;)) are set on edge instead of being laid flat. The borrowed one I'm using now is about 5 feet long and was built by a retired finish carpenter, I'm guessing 8-10 years ago and it's still "straght as a board". (Sorry couldn't resist:eek:). When it's closes you can't even see the working edges; it looks like a single board. Using bar clamps for leverage, you actually have to be careful to not overbend, whereas my old one built per plans was just barely adequate to do the job.

Ready to bend:
DSCN3195.JPG

About a minute later (most of which entailed installing the bar clamps):
DSCN3197.JPG