Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I know I know, it's a loaded question. It takes as long as it takes.

My first condition inspection will be due in November. Assuming the "routine" things aren't issues, APPROXIMATELY how long should it take?

hope this helps

Hopefully you will receive feedback for your model, but here is a little info:
RV-3, Open up, drain, clean, inspect, small simple repairs, service, close up and post run ops checks and re-cowl...about 6 hours with a little help of a second person.

It usually takes me all day on a Saturday and a half day on Sunday. I don't rush the inspection...

I could probably do it in 8 hours if absolutely nothing needed attention and I minimized distractions.

Typically it takes me a minimum of 16 hours for the inspection and "normal" periodic maintenance.
The one I'm working on now includes removing Loran and antenna, installing GPS, second com, with associated antennas, new intercom, new tires, new seat belts/shoulder harness.
This one's running a little longer than normal.

Last edited:
If I have been doing all the routine maintenance along the way and am pretty sure there is nothing lurking - about a full day for the RV-8. It helps to have assistance along the way to act as a second set of eyes as well as help opening and closing things up. Find one crack in a baffle or a bad hose, and suddenly you can add hours or days as you do a craftman's job of repair....

Paul

I estimate my inspections at around 15-20 hrs. total. I tend to work in sections so I'll do tail and wings, then interior, landing gear, and finish up with powerplant. Four separate work sessions is how I prefer to do it.
Removing screws is the biggest PITA. Have some extra screws of all sizes available to replace those with worn heads and be careful not to overtorque.

I allow all of January to get it done

I don't blast into it but it usually takes me all of January to get it done. I have a detailed checklist and I usually do one task group per day and I try not to get stale or rushed. It is cold in January and I don't fly much so it is a good way to go out and get up close and personal with my airplane. I usually try to work in a mod while I have everything apart.

Bob Axsom

Less than...

...23 hours. We do annuals on thousands of Cirrus' a year and depending on how much stuff is installed it should be less than that. The 23 hours includes pre-run, drain fluids, inspect, service items, close up and post run. Granted Cirrus has a detailed inspection list broken down into sections but if it were me and you obviously dont have to pay for labor just take your time and be thorough.

I have read lots of different posts on the amount of time. There are a lot of variables. IF and only IF everything is prepared and everything is PERFECT, it can be done in 4-hours. I also have spent as much as 160 hours. Summary: It can take 1/2 a day to one month. IF there are MAJOR problems, it can be longer than that.

As the airplane gets older, you will find more things that will need attention. If anything on my airplane will not last 100-hours (2 oil changes), I fix. I do not like down time. There are now 2,230 hobbs hours on my RV-6.

Inspection time

Can't help with that cause I don't know the airframe. Engine SERVICE and INSPECTION generally takes 5 to 6 hours Add three hours if the mags are coming off. Add time for REPAIRS. I do a lot of owner assist annuals, If you have some help, have the main "inspecter/mechanic" tackle the engine while the second opens the airframe and does the landing gear. Finnish the Inspection/service first, unless a Repair can be made quickly with materials on hand. Write down what you don't like. I prefer putting everything back together until repair materials are on hand unless it's really involved or the discrepancy is a "show sstopper".

Andrew

About a month

I typically do a progressive inspection over several weekends in the month the annual is due. That way I inspect sections of the plane and then put it back together and go fly. Then the last weekend of the month I do the firewall forward and takes a good 16 hours of work (well maybe not the full weekend as usually people come by and BS but that is part of the inspection as they are usually another pair of eyes looking over the engine).

About a week

I usually try to take everything apart on a Friday evening, then go through a detailed checklist . I usually find something to fix, but almost always minor. This is what takes the time.

I lubricate all the rod ends, check torques on the control system bolts and wing spar (check these, I have found loose nuts!) The wheel pants need to come off, possibly replace the brake pads, ...

So, take it apart Friday, work an 8 hour day on Saturday, 4 hours or so on Sunday, about 4 hours more during the week, and then put it all back together. Take your time and have fun.