AX-O

Well Known Member
I am trying to get a slow build -8 wing kit home. The kit is in OK and I am in CA. What is the longest part of the kit. The owner told me the main spars were 8 ft long and there was another piece about 15 ft long. I spoke with a guy here in town building a -8 and he told me that the long piece could be taken apart, is that true?

Fuselage longerons

Those may be the Fuselage longerons which are often shipped with the wing kit.

Fuse Longerons?

Taken apart? The 15-ft piece is probably the fuselage longerons which ship with the wing kits. I haven't gotten to the fuse yet, but I do recall a bright orange flyer in the wing kit box saying "FUSELAGE PARTS - DO NOT CUT" (or something like that). They send them in the spar box because they are so long and are easier to ship now than with the fuse. I do not know if they can be trimmed, but if so, I wouldn't think by much and I certainly wouldn't want to chance it.

If the -8 is the same as the -7, that long 15' piece is the longeron angle for the fuselage. Vans ships it in the spar box because it's long enough. Niether of the fuse boxes are long enough, so they'd have to send a special box just for one peice of angle. It's also supposed to remain untouched until the fuse arrives. The cutting instructions will come with that sub kit. 'Course, as long as you have the preview plans, it would be in there, as long as there are no revisions...

The spars are about eight feet long.

:eek: I see several of us were thinking and typing at the same time... :D Sorry for the repetition.

Possible Option

If it is costly to ship because of the longerons, maybe you could find a local supplier for the longeron material, as they are just long pieces of aluminum angle. A check of the parts list (for dimensions and AL type) and a call to some local aluminum suppliers and you may find suitable replacement parts. Just a thought.

Longerons...

Those 15 footers are the longerons in the -8 kit as well. You cannot cut them--check your preveiw plans for their finished dimension. The main spars are actually over 9 feet long (wing jig is 114"), rears are a little shorter. I like Brad's idea of the local suplier, but if your shipping a 10 foot box, what's another 5'?

Did you ever check in with Partian Shipping?

Joe

Last edited:
jferraro16 said:
Did you ever check in with Partian Shipping?

Joe

did not know how to find them or where they are based. Can you tell me how to get in touch with them?

Van's ships long pieces of stuff in PVC pipe capped at both ends. I don't see why this wouldn't work for the longerons. Maybe too flexible? I dunno.

Last edited:
jcoloccia said:
Van's ships long pieces of stuff in PVC pipe capped at both ends. I don't see why this wouldn't work for the longerons. Maybe too flexible? I dunno.

-John

This is how Van's shipped the longerons to me. I was originally going to get a QB fuse, so they didn't ship the longerons with the wing kit. I later changed my mind and ordered the SB fuse. Van's charged me a small extra charge for the longerons and shipped them in a long PVC pipe capped at both ends. It is definitely flexible, but works well as long as on a flatbed. To get them home from the ABF terminal I had to open the pass-thru window in my Nissan King Cab pickup and run the tube all the up to the windshield. The other fuse crates provided support for the part of tube that extended across the bed of the truck. A small amount extended past the bed of the truck; but not so much as to be a problem.

Tony