videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I am just finishing up a Condition Inspection, the first I have done without an assistant (OK, my wife did help for an hour or two.) I hadn't kept track of the hours before, and I was surprised that it has taken me about 20 hours, not counting getting all the tools together. I did put on an nose tire and tube, and rebuild a brake cylinder. Still, it seemed to take a long time. How many hours do you spend? While whatever it takes is worth it, seems like I am getting slow...

Bob Kelly

Good timing, Bob...I just did mine and finished it last weekend. While I didn't count the hours, it took the better part of 2.5 days. So I'm guessing it was at least 15 hours...closer to 20. The only thing is, this was my first one, so I had to re-arrange my fuel line at the carb, and shorten my fuel line at the right wing. Those probably added a couple hours.

Typically it takes me about 16-18 hours to do mine.
This year it took a little longer because I installed the "BatWing" style wing tips and ER fuel tanks.

Last edited:
I am just finishing up a Condition Inspection, the first I have done without an assistant (OK, my wife did help for an hour or two.) I hadn't kept track of the hours before, and I was surprised that it has taken me about 20 hours, not counting getting all the tools together. I did put on an nose tire and tube, and rebuild a brake cylinder. Still, it seemed to take a long time. How many hours do you spend? While whatever it takes is worth it, seems like I am getting slow...

Bob Kelly

I perform a "progressive inspection" that keeps my RV-6 from being grounded for more than a couple of hours or so at a time.

There is no requirement to dismantle the aircraft in one session. I will do the tail group inspection, button it back up so I can fly again, then do the cabin/control system inspection, button it back up to flyable condition, then firewall forward, etc, etc. The whole process can be easily completed in a week or so at my convenience with the plane available nearly all the time.

In reality, my plane is undergoing a condition inspection year round. The inspection process is ongoing and maintenance is performed immediately when a problem is found. Anytime a particular portion of the airframe requires attention, the whole area gets the "condition inspection" treatment.

Following this protocol, the condition inspection becomes almost as much a logbook exercise as much as actual time spent with the aircraft.

I perform a "progressive inspection" that keeps my RV-6 from being grounded for more than a couple of hours or so at a time.
In reality, my plane is undergoing a condition inspection year round. The inspection process is ongoing and maintenance is performed immediately when a problem is found. Anytime a particular portion of the airframe requires attention, the whole area gets the "condition inspection" treatment.

I have a similar methodology. About two months before my condition inspection is due I pull out a fresh inspection checklist. I'm in the middle of the checklist now. Three weeks ago I overhauled my smoke system and installed a larger smoke oil tank, new valve and fittings. While I had the front baggage floor removed to do all of this I took the opportunity to check the brake resevoirs and clean the fuel filter which are located under the baggage floor. Last week I replaced a faulty CHT bayonet and while I had the cowling off I did a compression check, clean and gaped the plugs, removed the spinner to check the prop, changed the oil and filter, checked the oil finger filter and injection nozzles and checked everything else under the cowl. Today I had to replace a bad RAC trim relay which required that I pull up the cockpit floorboards. Good time to check the control linkages and torque the wing attach bolts.
When it comes time to finish off the condition inspection at the end of April I should only have a few items to check off. Nothing says you have to do it all in one or two days.

From start to finish, I could complete a condition inspection in 8 hours or so if nothing required repairs and if I worked at a good pace all day long. Oil changes, tire rotations, and other routine maintenance activities would add to the time required, but they are not strictly a part of the inspection.

The reality is that the weekends are my days off and I do not work at an efficient pace. People like to drop by the hangar and BS and I like to hop on the bicycle and ride around the airport to BS with other folks hanging out on the weekend. What I find is that I'll end up spending 6-8 hours at the airport on Day 1 of the inspection, 3-4 hours at the airport on Day 2, and will typically reinstall the cowl after work one day the following week.

Actually, I do similar to Sam and Ron, except I try to do everything in March. The only time I was "down" was when my interior was out overnight and during the brake rebuild. There, the A&P with the brake fluid pump had taken the day off so I couldn't borrow it. I do stuff as I catch a problem, but I had planned the nose tire since last inspection. I will do the mains next year as I am at about 1/2 tread and that will last a year. I don't start early as it is too cold in an unheated hangar in Indiana in February.

Bob

From start to finish, I could complete a condition inspection in 8 hours or so if nothing required repairs and if I worked at a good pace all day long.

Thought I would mention that the proper way to do a condition inspection ( the way the pro's do it), is to do the inspection, then do the required repairs / maintenance.

This keeps you in inspector mode and prevents you from getting distracted by other tasks.
Keep a running squawk sheet that you can use as a check list later as you complete the required repairs / corrections.

Usually about a month

I allocate January to the task. It is usually cold and the impact on flying is minimal. It is slow and methodical process with a 4 page checklist divided into sections for Engine, Fuselage/Cockpit, Wings, Landing Gear, Tail and Special Items. The pages are laid out in Excel with columns for "Task", "Completion Date", "Comments", and "OK." I have separate squawk sheets laid out with columns for Item Number, Discrepancy, Corrective Action, and OK. The OKs don't get checked until all the inspection is complete and discrepancies resolved. Over 50 years ago for 5 years I was an inspector at McDonnell Aircraft on the F-101 and Project Mercury so that methodology was worn into in my soul.

Bob Axsom

I can't do mine because I bought my plane. But I do remove cowling and access panels. Perhaps that is two hours. Then an A&P does the inspection. I don't watch usually but let's say it is about 5 hours. I have yet to have a clean inspection with no problems. I think the last had about nine items. Some were simple tightening of screws. Others took more time to get parts and repair. Then another two hours to put everything back together.

This happens over several days.

I used to do it in January but the unheated hangar just is no longer fun to do the inspection. I have slipped it to March which should be better. I may go even later since the inspection really does not take the plane down long.