Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I'm beginning my canopy and plan to use Sikaflex to attach. My understanding is that the benefit of Sikaflex is avoiding drilling rivet holes in the canopy. If that is the case, then how are the side skirts attached? I've perused various threads and blogs and it looks to me like people are riveting the skirt on - which doesn't make sense if the above is correct. If someone could explain how this works, I'd sure appreciate it.
Cheers,
Eric

I used Sika-flex for the skirt too. I applied Sika to the canopy where the skirt was to attach then clekoed the skirt in place while the Sika dried. No rivets.

I got pictures of the process on my picasa site. Look at my signature below for the link. U will need to make spacers to go between the frame and the skirt. Tape off as much as u can because it is as bad as proseal when it comes to making a mess. If u are using a vans canopy dont use electrical tape to mask off the area. I think i read somewhere that it wound damage the canopy.

BTW, i know of 2 canopies that used sikaflex and got cracks. No drilling and no rivets. Make sure you take your time cleaning up the edges on the canopy after u cut it. Good luck.

Makes sense now

Hi guys-
Thanks for your help - Axo, I've got your fastback page permanently open in my tabs, lots of good pics to reference. G-IKON's canopy page has some good shots of the skirt attachment, so I understand how it's done now. Curious if you used spacers between the skirt and canopy (how thick?) or just a squeeze-out bond with fillet?
Eric