doctornigel

I was just pondering how I could build the fastest RV-10.

I was thinking, if I cut 10% off the width and length of every part, that will cut almost 19% of the weight off the plane as well as reduce the cross-section and decrease drag. I haven't run all the numbers but it should add another 10 kts in cruise. Should also be stronger because everyone knows it's harder to bend something short than something long.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of my idea. ;)

Any other ideas? :D

Fastest RV-10

I'd recommend putting a 1000SHP or larger turboprop on it. This would be much easier than cutting down all the parts. I figure that you should be able to reach a sufficient speed before running out of gas to separate the wings from the fuselage. The resulting dive will break all RV speed records. I wouldn't plan on multiple flights tho... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist... it's late at night and I'm tired...

John
RV-10 40208

Sounds like you're wanting 4 seats. I was thinking that a tandem position 4-place stretched -8 would be a better fit.

Weird...

Scott Will said:
It's called ... build the Lancair Evolution and call it an RV-10 when you go to put the data plate on it!
Nice plane. Specs look funny tho. Vne quoted as 255. Cruise 338 (or economy at 270)? What's up with that? :confused:

Build this

doctornigel said:
I was just pondering how I could build the fastest RV-10.

Any other ideas? :D

Build it really straight and no paint....maybe a stripe or little trim. Gap seal ailerons, elevators and rudder. Install a James cowl and plenum. IFR glass panel VFR day. IO-540 300 HP or more if cost-no-object. All antennae except comm hidden. Mold and fill leg fairings and tail fairing to fuselage and tighten up gaps between ailerons and flaps and wingtips. Gotta be light, straight and tight.

Regards,
Pierre

My friend swore his 172 went 3 knots faster after it was damaged in a hail storm. The wing was dimpled like a golf ball, he figured that's why it went faster.

I was thinking on making a hole pattern of about maybe half inch holes on a spare sheet of aluminum, stagger each row, place it on the wing, and then take the back-end of a ball peen hammer to my wings skin.

Am I on the right track? :D

The tooth fairy

Hi Doc,
From your bio, I'd suggest a talk with the tooth fairy as well!! :D

Man, it's so hot down here I'm eating kaolin to thicken up my blood..it was 106 degrees yesterday.

Pierre

4 fast seats

How about a twin RV-8, a la P-82 Twin Mustang. You'd have at least twice the power, although you're adding a fair bit of drag. Anyone game though...?

:D

Last one,

Fish slime is known to significantly reduce the drag coefficient and allow fish to swim faster on less power.

TKS filled with fish slime? Probably still keep the ice off too.

But seriously, anyone doing anything short of more power to up the speed?