MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have an RV-8 with the O-360AIA and a C/S prop.

I live on the east coast where the highest obstacles are generally <4K.

I often fly at 6K to 8K but have been thinking about the advantages of flying higher. My throttle is at the firewall and my MP is at about 21" by the time I get much higher than 8K but people tell me there are lots of advantages to going higher.

The guys from Van's say they often fly at 16K (with O2 of course).

So my question is does it make much sense to buy a small O2 bottle and climb up to 12-16K for longer cross country flights in an RV?

thanks,

bruce
N297nw

It is Absolutely Dependent on Weather

It is Absolutely Dependent on Weather. I bought a portable oxygen system at Oshkosh this year but the only time I will fly high is if the winds are favorable up there or if the cloud tops require that I go up there to get above them. Otherwise I nomally fly at the proper altitude centered around 8,000 ft. There are no mountain passes in my cross country routings that require going higher. When I cross ther Rockies I cross over by Salt Lake City, Sante Fe, Albuquerque, or El Paso. In flights across the Rockies or the Mountains out west there are direct routes where you could gain advantage by going higher but in the East I have never found a mountain situation that required high altitude just because of the mountain height alone. From the wording of your query I think you are well aware of all this. The main reason I bought the oxygen system is for weather driven high altitude flights and to give my wife a little relief when I have to cruise in the 12,000ft range. Of course if Aircraft Spruce ever re-established the cross country air race from Denver to Oshkosh I would use it for sure and climb to the best tailwind altitude.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Well, being based at 7650 msl, I occasionally get above 8000 :D

Really, Bob has it exactly right, it depends on the weather. I have had my 8 to 17,500 ft. and it flew just fine...I don't remember the fuel burn, but it wasn't much.

I once enjoyed an 80 kt tailwind at 11,500 going from Payson, AZ to Midland, TX. Needless to say, if I was westbound I would have been lower!

Have fun!

I generally fly at 8-10,000 on cross countries. I have a 7A with 0-360 A1A and Hartzell. When out west, I fly whatever is necessary for safe terrain clearance. I do not have O2.

Today, while flying around Wisconsin, we had nice 40 mph tail winds at 2500 msl. At 190 indicated, we had 235 mph ground speed. Saw a lot of Wisconsin color. Of course, our ground speed was down to about 155 on the way back.

Roberta

like most above, I usually target for about 8,000, but will go higher (much higher) if the winds will give me a good push. Down here on the Gulf coast in the summer, 8K is almost necessary to get out of the heat and bumps anyway - and 10,000 is easy to reach. I have tested the Valkyrie up in the Flight Levels, and while fun and interesting in a trivia sort of way, it's really not practical to go that high - if you're trying to avoid weather, and have to go that high to do it, the weather might be telling you that it's time to stop for lunch while it passes....

I generally carry an O2 system anytime I'm taking a long trip, in case the right winds come along.

Paul

I follow the winds, but in the summer my bias is for higher altitudes which give better visibility, a smoother ride, and most important, cooler temperatures inside the cabin.

Last week I flew from Atlanta to Houston and never exceeded 3,500' due to winds. A couple of days later, we (my wife and I) returned from San Antonio and got as high as 11,500 looking for better winds, which never materialized.

Due to a lack of O2, I try and stay at 11,000' or below, but have gone as high as 14,000' for the FAA mandated time limit in order to maintain VFR clearances above a cloud deck.

I've got a low performance RV... ;-) Fixed pitch wood prop, 160 hp 0-320...

Often fly high

In the west we have the obstructions called mountains. Depending on where you are going 10000+ is required. I tend to fly as high as possible after analyzing the winds.

On a trip this weekend to the Central Valley of California from the Phx area I flew at 10500 until Palm Springs CA then climbed to 12.5 for about 10 minutes to clear some clouds west of Banning. On the way home I flew at 11.5 to clear some minor weather and the mountains.

Not really a lot to look at in the desert. Auto pilot is driving, the XM is on and life is good.

O2 and your nose

MSFT-1 said:
I have an RV-8 with the O-360AIA and a C/S prop.

I live on the east coast where the highest obstacles are generally <4K.

I often fly at 6K to 8K but have been thinking about the advantages of flying higher. My throttle is at the firewall and my MP is at about 21" by the time I get much higher than 8K but people tell me there are lots of advantages to going higher.

The guys from Van's say they often fly at 16K (with O2 of course).

So my question is does it make much sense to buy a small O2 bottle and climb up to 12-16K for longer cross country flights in an RV?

thanks, Bruce N297nw
If you read Van's Oshkosh report, in the last RVator he flew at 9.5 to 11.5 to Oshkosh. The RV-10 made it in less than 10 hours from Oregon. They went over some big hills with no O2. He made the comment that neither he or Ken where interested in making it a record flight or minimizing the stops. I suppose they could have used O2 and extended their range, reducing the number of stops and trip time, but they could not be bothered.

As far as flying at 16k, sure that depends on aircraft weight, HP and of course the winds. I like to fly 8.5 to 12.5, depending on weight, temp and winds. I have gone down on the deck if needed due to winds. Other times flying lower is just more fun with better view. :D

I have cruised up to 17,500 feet w/ a nose bag in my RV. It's kind of fun to see how high you can fly and little fuel you can use. However when your nose is dry later that night on the ground, its not so fun. When you get that high, you're going to get there but way slower. Your speed is dropping down not withstanding any tail wind. If you plan on flying high, plan on sitting for a long time, like close to 6 hours. You can turn a 4 hour flight into a 6 hour flight easy, unless there are good tail winds to be had high up. Also forget sight seeing, but the reason for flying high is fuel, range or weather. How much can you save? 3 gal/hour or 150-200 miles more on the tanks? That's not bad.

Its real simple math, the higher you go, the less power your ATMO engine makes, the slower you go and the less fuel is burned. The plus of flying higher is less drag, so 50% power at WOT and 17,500 feet is better than 50% power with partially closed throttle at 1,000 ft. They both save fuel but you'll have better TAS at 17,500. Flying slower puts you closer to max or long range cruise speed. Also winds tend to be stronger with altitude and change direction (remember the Coriolis effect?). Having the option to fly well above 12,500 ft can be a big benifit, but how much would you really take advantage of it?

The difference between 50% and 75% power on a O360 Lyc is almost 3 gal/hr! At 17,500 feet with WOT, 2,500 rpm is about 50% power. If equipped w/ a constant speed prop the slower you set your RPM the better. However at real high altitudes you may need to spin faster to just keep the airspeed up.

Now the down side sucking O2 thru the tubes in the nose. You will have to spend $500 to $800 to buy a 9 to 22 cu in tank system. It'll take some time to recoup that cost. If you fly long X-C all the time it may save money on fuel. Also O2 dries your nose out, you have to fill the bottle up which cost money and it's a hassle. Also there's the weight and clutter of bottle, regulator, hose and mask.

At 15,000 feet, a 9 cu-in tank gives about 9.5 man-hr; a 22 cu-in tank has 14.8 man hours duration. You see different numbers from various vendors. Some claim their special super flow metering systems are better. A 22 cu-in tank is fairly large and heavy, about 11 lbs when full. Plus the other components add a few more pounds.

You can see with a small 9 cu-in bottle solo or 22 cu-in with two people you could be filling the tank every other or third flight. With a passenger you use twice the O2 and the plane will not climb as high. Two up with a 22 cu-in bottle is good for about 7 hours. I can tell you 7 hours on a bottle in one day will kill your nasal passages.

RV's don't always fly well above 12,500 ft, especially on a hot day, gross weight and lower HP engine. I tried it once with a low HP RV-4, fully loaded on a hot day; it mushed along. Look at Vans service ceiling altitudes. Service ceiling means you can barely climb and almost behind the power curve, mushing along. I take Van's MAX service ceiling and subtract 5k or 6k for a max practical high cruise altitude. That is about 12,500 ft for most gross weight RV's with a 160 HP engine. They will go higher but its not comfortable or effecient unless there is wind. Yes you may save some fuel but the time you add to the trip is not a good tradeoff.

I say go for it and experiment. Buy a used rig. Sell it if it's not your cup of tea. I do love the fuel savings of flying high, but I also like to sight see on a X-C and not get a dry nose. It's easier to say, "Oh that airport looks cool lets land I'm hungry", at 9,000 than 16,000 feet.

To each his own, but you can save lots of fuel high up. Also it may allow you to make a trip in less legs. The cool thing is hooking up to a 40 kt tail wind. I have a small 9 cu-in if needed, weighs about 8 lbs total, but overall 12,500 feet is plenty high. Borrow a system and try it out on your next X-C trip before buying? Cheers

Last edited:
It can sure be worth it and I have found I can still make a very respectable speed. I have 180 HP and a fixed pitch prop.

Panel2.jpg

TAS is indicating 165 knots (reads slightly high because of inaccurate temperature sensing). GS is 206 knots at 17,500 feet. This was a warm day in summer, although I don't recall the temperature.

If I've got O2 onboard, I usually try to find the best balance of performance, economy, and comfort. That often means climbing above turbulence.

On the way home from Oshkosh this year I was at 16,500' doing 165 knots over the ground on 5.6 gph. The speed was nothing to write home about, but the economy was terrific and the comfort was considerably better at that altitude than even 14,500'.

For me it's a "whatever works best at this very moment in this very location" type of thing.

Plenty of O2 (turned up for density altitude, not indicated altitude), and plenty of hyrdration...those are key for me. And of course electronic ignition doesn't exactly hurt once you start climbing toward the flight levels.

I've had my airplane up over 20,400' with me and a 300 pound passenger and it did just fine. Solo it's happy-happy up there. I literally have no idea what the service ceiling really is.

20050613_instruments.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a $30 nasal rebreather cannula...

gmcjetpilot said:
At 15,000 feet, a 9 cu-in tank gives about 9.5 man-hr; a 22 cu-in tank has 14.8 man hours duration. You see different numbers from various vendors. Some claim their special super flow metering systems are better. A 22 cu-in tank is fairly large and heavy, about 11 lbs when full. Plus the other components add a few more pounds.

You can see with a small 9 cu-in bottle solo or 22 cu-in with two people you could be filling the tank every other or third flight. With a passenger you use twice the O2 and the plane will not climb as high. Two up with a 22 cu-in bottle is good for about 7 hours. I can tell you 7 hours on a bottle in one day will kill your nasal passages.

George,
...time for you to buy a $30 nasal re-breather cannula.... :) - this will cut your costs significantly. It will give you about double the times you quote above if you have the correct flow-meter to go with it. They are certified to 18,000 ft. - should be good enough... :)

Oxymizer_Cannula.gif

Flowmeter

A-4_flowmeter.gif

This is much cheaper than the measured demand systems, and is also much more comfortable to wear, you can talk normally to your passengers with regular headsets - no fancy face masks with a built in microphone (more $$$) are needed.

Personally, I have made 5 hr. plus flights with this cannula in my sailplane (most of the time 12,000 to 16,000 ft.) and seem to get less dried out nasal passages than with the mask I used to have.... but I guess everyone reacts differently here.... :)

Various options for O2 equipment are here, and half way down the first page is a consumption chart for the nasal re-breather cannula - a "C" cylinder is 9 cu. ft. and an "E" or "M" cylinder is 22 cu. ft.

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page36.htm

Usual disclaimer - No connection - just a happy customer....

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Using whatever altitude is most benificial

The great thing about the RV's is that you can go high if you need to, or cruise them down low if you don't need the extra clearance. I usually fly mine two thousand feet higher than it would make sense for a spam can to fly at. By doing this I seldom encounter traffic. Somewhere I heard the rule of thumb that climbing more than ten minutes per one hour of flight begins go offer diminishing returns on your investment. 8,500-11,500 are my altitudes of choice when traveling for economy, cool air in the summer, and greatly reduced chances of an encounter with another airplane. Very few renters will spend the $'s to climb a 172 this high for an hour or so flight to lunch. Getting out of the area where these folks operate is a bonus that the RV offers with no real time penalty. I do have O2 and use it when needed to cross the Sierra Nevada's. Friday I crossed Victor 144 at 15,500' and made a flight of 1 hour and 50 minutes and used between 11 and 12 gallons to get to my destination. The economy up there is fantastic. :D

Best,

www.weathermeister.com

Bryan Wood said:
Somewhere I heard the rule of thumb that climbing more than ten minutes per one hour of flight begins go offer diminishing returns on your investment.
Throw the rulebook OUT THE WINDOW! Well, not that the rules don't hold, but nothing beats real live data. And you guys are gonna love what Weathermeister is gonna offer VERY SOON!!! I'm working my butt off on some new & way cool features that literally have the potential to save you fuel money...and time...on every cross-country flight! Stay tuned...