Brantel

Well Known Member
I have my Dynon remote compass mounted at the top of the next bulkhead right behind the baggage bulkhead on my RV7. The servo goes on the floor between these two bulkheads. I will have around 30" straight line distance between the servo and the compass.

Is this enough?

I know the installed base of this combo in this config might not be that great with the Dynon but I am sure that others have tried similar setups with different brands of EFIS's and AP's.....If so, what were your results?

YMMV may vary but that is exactly how my dynon servo and compass is installed - never any issue. Mag heading is always right on and turning on the servo seems to have no bad effects.

Brian,

Bought my 6 with the remote compass already mounted to a bracket on the bottom of the fuse in the bay between those two bulkheads, on the same side as where the AP servo mounts. I added the Dynon AP later, and I have less spacing than you are describing. Not close enough to anywhere near interfering with the servo, of course, but not your 30" spacing.

I have not seen any heading issues (calibration went fine, and heading hold has been respectable with a good cal). To be honest, I hadn't thought about electromagnetic impacts from an active servo (if I'm reading that correctly as your concern), so I'm gonna go out and do a little testing to see if I get any compass movement by turning the AP on and off, and engaging/disengaging the pitch servo. Will report back with findings.

So far, so good, but I'm set up for VFR, and I believe you want to be fully IFR capable, so you'd want it nice and stable (as do I, even VFR)...so I'll let you know if I see any impacts.

Cheers,
Bob

Brian,

I posted last night but apparently several of my responses to various threads did not take for some strange reason...

Anyway, my Dynon is in the same bulkhead as you mention, but right in the center of the bulkhead opening on a piece of angle Al, so it is about 18 inches or less from the servo, and I have had no problems in 140 hours.

greg