cjensen

Well Known Member
...to get to your airport/airplane?

All you folks that live at your fly-in community have it made, but I was wondering how far RVer's are driving to their airports to fly the RV, rent, or fly the "other" airplane while the RV is being built. My -7 is about 30 feet from the kitchen to the garage/shop, but when I fly (or go to work...), it's about 4 miles and 15 minutes.

Courtesy of Google Earth, here's an overview of my commute...

Chad-airport.jpg

So how far do you go?

Last edited:
Chad:

I may not have the longest drive but I do consider my drive one of the longer ones. Lets see who drives farther than I do.

52 miles condo to hangar.
Average weekend time with no SoCAL Freeway traffic is 50 minutes.
After work, time is typically 90 minutes. On a Friday night, I am lucky if the drive is ONLY 2 hours 30 minutes.

A stones throw...

Fortunately, I live "down the street" (less than 3 miles) from the airport (KTZR) closest to my new house. I will try to post a map showing the route.

Previously, in the old house, I had to travel a good 20-30 minutes to get to the airport where I learned to fly (KDLZ).

There are quite a few (about 5) airports within 30 minutes of Central Ohio (KCMH). Hangar space is hard to come by though, which is why I'm excited about the 12's prospect of being able to be trailered (let's not get back on subject, please). For me, trailering would work nicely.

Last edited:
Hey Gary...You need to get you one of them flying cars!

My drive is about 7 miles....I'm a mile closer to the airport than I am to work :D

We're hoping we'll be able to get a hangar at that airport when the time comes.

When I was training, I was about 15 miles away from the airport...it was a one hour drive in traffic, though.

30 minutes

I drive 30 minutes for rental, don't know the distance. Closest would be 15, but I prefer the FBO at the 30-min drive.

I have Ottawa International airport 10 min from me, and I fly rental planes out of there now. But forget about being able to afford a hangar there, and landing fees are on the rise (a rather steep increase is coming). So when I get my RV flying, I will have about a 40 minute drive to a general aviation airport.

A Little closer

vanplane said:
I don't drive. It's 17 steps from my back door to my hangar and 110' taxi from there to the runway.

Yes, I know I'm lucky.

Zero steps to my hangar, it is out the kitchen door :D Roughly 90' to the parallel taxiway!!!! Our runway is 17/35. I live near the end of 35 so I've got nearly a mile taxi. Just enough to get things warmed up in the winter. (if it ever gets here!!!)

I commend those who have to drive to the airport to build. The dedication is without compare. I am very blessed to live in a great airpark community.

FYI, there is a home available in the "high rent" district for 1.9 Mil.

18 minute drive / 14.3 miles.

(driveway to hangar)
I guess I don't have it that bad :D .
b,
d

Last edited:
I live on hole 13 Planterra Ridge Golf Club, and the airport borders hole 5. So i guess I'm about 32 strokes away.

Mark

15 miles, 20 minutes

To go flying, do EAA stuff, or just bum around the airport its 15 miles, 20 minutes on a good day. Mostly freeway driving. Anaheim Hills to Corona (KAJO) Ca.

To work on the RV6 its 10 ft from the kitchen to the garage.

Mark

I drive 20 miles from Norco,CA to Cable Airport, Upland,CA. Worth every minute too-We have a great EAA chapter and builder's center.

9 miles - 20 minutes

With no traffic, 20 minutes. With traffic - 30. But, I only live three minutes from work, so the trip home is fast, and then I have to "commute" to the airport.

Just visited my "retirement lot" at Kestrel airapark today...can't wait until I am living there....

Paul

My drive is about 9 miles and 15-20 minutes. Thankfully no freeways.

drive_to_airport.jpg

BTW...I moved here to be close to the airport, to have a hangar at a great RV-friendly airport, etc. Priorities!

Last edited:
My hangar is 55' from my kitchen door. My other hangar is 110' farther than that. (I keep my -6 in the closer hangar!) Another 150' taxi to the center of 17/35 (8TA5).

Last edited:
Hangar doors

8 minutes.
Takes longer to open the hangar doors, move a spam can, pull "Riveting Experience" out, replace the spam can and close the doors.
Oh.! And I can then climb to the aircraft ceiling overhead the airport OCTA. No contolled aispace.
Pete.

two one woods and an eight iron

I live on a hill over looking our community airport. 36 glidepath is just out
my front door. Maybe a 1 minute drive including the walk out to the garage). It's going to be soooo nice :)

75 feet to the hangar 150' to 18/36 of 33IL, It does stink to have to mow 1836" once a week in the summer. Chad, When are you flying down?

cjensen said:
...to get to your airport/airplane?

All you folks that live at your fly-in community have it made, but I was wondering how far RVer's are driving to their airports to fly the RV, rent, or fly the "other" airplane while the RV is being built. My -7 is about 30 feet from the kitchen to the garage/shop, but when I fly (or go to work...), it's about 4 miles and 15 minutes.

Courtesy of Google Earth, here's an overview of my commute...

Chad-airport.jpg

So how far do you go?

You've got me beat. 6 miles.

Most water crossed?

I've got to drive about 26 miles across the SF Bay to get from San Carlos to Hayward. The only consolation is that I've actually got access to a hangar. These things are nearly impossible to come by out here. Hopefully one day I can keep it at San Carlos ... then I'll only be about five minutes away. :(

route.png

sat_home.jpg

Front door to hanger door is about 15-20 yards. Or I can go direct via the inside door. :D I love living on an airport! Airplanes 24-7.

1 miles

I'm 1 mile from the airport. Thank goodness because it seems like I've made a million trips back and forth to get tools that I forgot or needed at my house / shop that were not at the airport. AJ

I go about a mile from the other direction door to hangar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcP0ZOtG7Y

The neighborhood on the left is where I live, and the rest of the approach is to runway 4 at TZR.

SweetJellyDonut said:
Fortunately, I live "down the street" (less than 3 miles) from the airport (KTZR) closest to my new house. I will try to post a map showing the route.

Previously, in the old house, I had to travel a good 20-30 minutes to get to the airport where I learned to fly (KDLZ).

There are quite a few (about 5) airports within 30 minutes of Central Ohio (KCMH). Hangar space is hard to come by though, which is why I'm excited about the 12's prospect of being able to be trailered (let's not get back on subject, please). For me, trailering would work nicely.

10 to 15 minutes (depends on traffic) from home or work to ADS. I could have gone farther out to get cheaper rent and less congestion (I kid you not, I was #14 for departure last Friday afternoon), but I'd rather fly and have fun than drive and think about the money I'm saving.

As my friend Dale who took me on my first RV ride said: "Doug, we don't always do things the cheap way - we do them the fun way"

30 miles

It takes me 35 to 45 minutes to get to my hangar in West Memphis, AR from Cordova, TN. However, next year I'll start building at Whifferdill Estates between Clarksville and Nashville along the Cumberland River. 5 acre lots are still available.

lot30brk7.jpg

Sorry the picture is too big. One of these days I'll figure out how to get it the right size.

Steve
RV7
N174AS

Last edited:
Beautiful.

Steve,
Beautiful country side and strip.
Is that a bend in the strip or a change of gradient.
Pete.

Whifferdill

Steve,

It was great to see your picture of Whifferdill.
I used to live in Nashville and spent most of my spare time out there.
You couldn't pick a better spot, in my opinion, to live and fly from.
Ray Williams taught me to fly aerobatics and helped me with the purchase,
and then the transition training in a Christen Eagle.
I can't say enough about Ray and all the other people that hang out at
Whifferdill.

By the way, if my memory serves me correctly, you are going to have a 727 as a permanent neighbor.
I couldn't see it from your picture, but I think Red Lane will be your next door neighbor.

I moved to Marietta, GA five years ago and haven't made it back to Whifferdill since.
My RV-7 is just a few months from completion and one of my first hops will be there to see old friends.
Hope to see you there.

Keith

Last edited:
Red Lane's Home/Plane is a DC-8

Keith,

On a visit to Whifferdill last fall to look over the property Red Lane invited my wife and I to, "come over and have a look at my house."

Imagine our surprise when coming out of a forested area there was a DC-8 sitting there. He had it permanantly mounted on massive support structures with most of it extending over a ridge line and a massive hole in the ground. He was currently living in the DC-8 and gave us the complete insde tour. The interior was very cleverly configured to be very livable. Heating and airconditioning equipment was positioned under the plane in the hole I mentioned and piped throughout utilizing the existing DC-8 plumbing.

Work was in process in the large hole building a conventional masonry structure to mate up with the aircraft overhead. It should be complete by now, and I'm sure it's quite impressive.

Ray Williams and Red Lane were a pleasure to meet and deal with. We did not buy any property on that visit, but it's still on our list of possible future locations.

1/4 mile

I live inside the traffic pattern near the end of 13 and can hear the tires chirp when an airplane lands on 31... :D
Regards,

DC-8 at Whifferdill

Mike,

You're right, it is a DC-8.
Red gave me the grand tour about six years ago.
Very cool setup with the recording studio in the cockpit.
Not sure if he bragged on himself, but Red is kind of famous in Nashville and is in the song writer's hall of fame.
He still plays in Merle Haggards band on the road (atleast he did 5 years ago).
That is one of the things I like most about Whifferdill, you sure do meet some interesting folks there.

Keith

Peter,
It is a bit of dip in the runway. Both grass strips are straight until you get to the north end where, technically, they are then taxiways. The long runway is 3200' x 200' and has a big dip at the south end. The little runway is 2000' x 100'.
Steve

Keith,
Red Lane is indeed my new neighbor. I haven't had the opportunity to meet him yet. The DC8 is still a work in progress, and there is some work being done at this time. I agree Ray Williams is a great guy to work with, and I am looking forward to getting to know him better. If you're still considering a lot at Whifferdill, you better hurry. Ray has sold 5 lots in the past year, 4 in the last few months. He has also raised the prices recently. Even at the higher price, I still believe it is a good deal.
Steve

One Hour on a good Day

55 mile each way from home to my 9A. Or one side of Atlanta to the other, and traffic sucks here.

12 miles and 20 minutes

To get to the Flying Club at the airfield (KHUA) on Redstone Arsenal. I'm on the list for a hanger at KDCU for when I get the -7 finished and that will change my drive to 19.5 miles and 27 minutes.

distance to airport

I drive 18 miles (25 minutes) from home in Tucson, to Marana (AVQ)
I'd like to afford an airport home, however available lots start at about $180K and go up to well over $500K. Way out of my reach, especially with retirement right around the corner. The Arizona land market has been taken over and driven by folks coming from places like California and other high cost states where 900 sq ft cracker box houses run close a million.
Charlie

to fly the rv-4 5 miles, to go to work to fly 154 miles. oh well, no way am i going to live in miami....

R. Burns

N82RB

About 1.5 miles from my house to KPAO. Can't say i own here, and there's no way thats gonna happen anytime soon. Multimillion dollar houses everywhere. The one upside is all the fun planes out at the airport. Some guy who parks next to one of the 172 rentals has a brand new Piper Matrix. Got to stick my head in, pretty swank, even for the not-top-end version.

Just getting started on my plane, I don't think Palo Alto Aiport is the place to finish and test fly it. I haven't done much thinking on that, but I'm thinking I may need to move :-/

Mine are both kept in the back yard, and I have to watch for the mail box when I take off. To quote Jeff Foxworthy: You might be a redneck if the directions to your house include "turn off the paved road" =)

Last edited:
These things are nearly impossible to come by out here. Hopefully one day I can keep it at San Carlos ... then I'll only be about five minutes away. :(

route.png

I tried to get on the hanger waiting list about 3 years ago at San Carlos and was told that the last person to get a hanger got on the list in 1968. Don't let your hanger at Hayward go to quickly. :D

I tried to get on the hanger waiting list about 3 years ago at San Carlos and was told that the last person to get a hanger got on the list in 1968. Don't let your hanger at Hayward go too quickly. :D

Holy cr@p, that's just insane! Glad I live in Houston... the weather isn't as nice as in SQL, but at least I have a decent T hangar 11 miles from home. Plus, my job is based in Houston, so there's that. Seriously, Hooks Airport (KDWH) north of town has several T hangars available right now, no 40 year waiting list.

FOR A SMALLER PICTURE....

It takes me 35 to 45 minutes to get to my hangar in West Memphis, AR from Cordova, TN.

Sorry the picture is too big. One of these days I'll figure out how to get it the right size.

Steve
RV7
N174AS

IT'S ALL IN THE INSTRUCTIONS............One such place is www.Imageshack.us - a site that is about the easiest I've ever seen. They have a 1MB per picture limit, so if your image is 3MB and two feet in width you'll need to reduce it first. Once you have the picture at the size you want (a nice size for the forums is 700-800 pixels wide), go to their site. You'll see a screen similar to this:

Drive to airport

Hello
The drive to the airport (choice of two within 9 miles) is 4 miles. This airport is one of those foam rubber strips which is grass on sand. The other one is paved (6000) feet with ATC. Rather than gawk at the stupid car drivers I gawk out of the plane.:)
Both of these airports have hangers for sale and lots of room to build your own. For those of you that need to reduce your pictures to post or make into avitars many free programs exist. Use a good search engine or get one. To get a good one just go to WWW.MSN.COM .

Last edited: